When and Where Does the Soul Depart from the Body?

• Thread starter theCandyman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary: It's really weird and i've never seen it happen myself, but it's something that has been studied a lot.
theCandyman
I saw "Ghost in the Shell" recently, it is a Japaneese animation and in it there are two people who are both main characters. Anyway, both have almost no remaining body parts that they were born with, all of it has been replaced with mechanical or robotic parts. But the chacter mentions her "ghost" in the movie, which I think she means as a soul.

The question I wanted to ask is, if you'll assume humans have souls, is when do you think the soul leave the body and go to heaven/hell/puragatory/reincarinated body/ect? Would a certain body part be associated with our souls staying with us?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the soul leaves the body, it completely leaves the body. However, in Christian belief, the soul comes back into the body at a later time. After all, it seems foolish for God to give us a body that we only *use* for 70 or so years and then throw away.

Dekoi, the idea of the soul leaving the body is a Greek one, that was picked up by the early Christians. Many of the statements in St. Paul, for example, imply that the dead are in some way asleep, and that they will be waked at the end. This is more in the line of Jewish thought in which he had been trained, where the whole body is inseparable, and lives or dies as one.

selfAdjoint said:
Dekoi, the idea of the soul leaving the body is a Greek one, that was picked up by the early Christians. Many of the statements in St. Paul, for example, imply that the dead are in some way asleep, and that they will be waked at the end. This is more in the line of Jewish thought in which he had been trained, where the whole body is inseparable, and lives or dies as one.

Hello,
Respectfully,
Jewish belief regarding the soul and body at the time of passing is that what ever part of the soul that has prepared in this world by attempting to achieve closeness to A Higher Power will leave as that Higher Power comes at the moment of death to receive that part of the soul. The rest of the soul or consciousness that was not refined above the earthly desires of the physical realm remains with the body and DOES (according to Jewish belief) experience discomfort in the grave. At such a time of a resurrection the soul taken by the Shechinah ( the female part of G-d )at the time of death and kept in a waiting state will be reconnect to the body (that it never severed from) to a body of a healthy 20 year old. The last and most refined body of as many as 4 incarnations will be reconstructed by the only bone that will remain. The luz bone located at the bottom of the spine.

If I were to assume that humans have souls, I would imagine they would be housed in the brain. So you could replace anybody part you wanted, organs, arms, legs, etc., and still have the soul intact.

Vega said:
If I were to assume that humans have souls, I would imagine they would be housed in the brain. So you could replace anybody part you wanted, organs, arms, legs, etc., and still have the soul intact.

Good Morning,
It would be reasonable to assume that some kind of central control would be located in the brain, but if awareness of the body comes though the brain then how are we to consider the feelings of phantom limbs in the place of severed ones, taking into consideration the advances made in neurophysiology and what about the photo's taken of leaves where half have been cut away and a shimmering image of the missing half remains on the film.
I am not claiming to know WHAT it is, but something must be animating physicality on all levels.
I do not to intend so suggest philosophy or religion, but perhaps it can be explained through science. If not today...in the hopeful near future.
Suzanne

I don't know anything about what you are saying about leaves but the phantom limb thing (im don't really know that much about brain ailments and it isn't a disease so i don't know what to call it) is where, in humans at least, part of the body is cut off. The part of the brain that controls the feelings for that part of the body is like "wtf" and goes out looking , trying to find what happened to the electric currents that the limb has been giving to it(prior to the amputation). The part of the brain eventually goes over to another "receptor" and begins to get its electric currents from there. So when you touch that part of your body it sends the current up to the brain and both receptors get it. That is the current theory on why ppl have phantom limb thing. The example that I know of is that some guy got his arm cut off and feels it whenever he shaves. pretty weird. i am sorry that i don't have any links to other websites to back up what i am saying, but i did get most of this information from "Nova" a television show.

3mpathy said:
I don't know anything about what you are saying about leaves but the phantom limb thing (im don't really know that much about brain ailments and it isn't a disease so i don't know what to call it) is where, in humans at least, part of the body is cut off. The part of the brain that controls the feelings for that part of the body is like "wtf" and goes out looking , trying to find what happened to the electric currents that the limb has been giving to it(prior to the amputation). The part of the brain eventually goes over to another "receptor" and begins to get its electric currents from there. So when you touch that part of your body it sends the current up to the brain and both receptors get it. That is the current theory on why ppl have phantom limb thing. The example that I know of is that some guy got his arm cut off and feels it whenever he shaves. pretty weird. i am sorry that i don't have any links to other websites to back up what i am saying, but i did get most of this information from "Nova" a television show.

Thank you.
Good Day!

Related to When and Where Does the Soul Depart from the Body?

1. What makes a movie thought-inducing?

A thought-inducing movie is one that provokes deeper thinking and reflection on important issues or themes. It may challenge societal norms, present complex ethical dilemmas, or explore philosophical concepts. These types of movies often leave a lasting impact on the viewer and can lead to discussions and debates.

2. Can a movie be both entertaining and thought-inducing?

Absolutely. In fact, some of the most thought-provoking movies are also highly entertaining. A good balance of engaging storytelling and meaningful content can make for a powerful and impactful viewing experience.

3. Are there specific genres that are more likely to be thought-inducing?

While any genre can have thought-inducing movies, some genres tend to explore deeper themes more often. These include drama, science fiction, and psychological thrillers. However, there are also many thought-inducing movies in comedy and animation genres as well.

4. How can a thought-inducing movie influence society?

A thought-inducing movie has the potential to spark conversation and critical thinking, which can lead to societal change. It can bring attention to important issues and challenge societal norms, ultimately shaping perspectives and inspiring action.

5. Are there any notable examples of thought-inducing movies?

There are countless thought-inducing movies, but some notable examples include "Inception," "The Matrix," "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Get Out," and "12 Angry Men." These movies have sparked discussions and debates on topics such as reality, memory, race, and justice.