Wheatstone bridge in Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a circuit and the use of Kirchhoff's laws to solve it. The participants discuss labeling nodes and determining the direction of the currents through the resistors. They suggest applying KCL and using the fact that the current through one resistor is zero to eliminate an unknown and solve the problem.
Gunner1412

Homework Statement

I remember in physics class that we saw this set up.The ratio of r1/r4=r2/r3 is the same. There is no use for the current to head through R5 if it's the same energy on both sides. Now in linear I have no idea how to use this.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried re-arranging Kirchhoff's laws, but it didn't give me enough variables to solve...

Please help guys, I really can't figure this one out.

Attachments

• wheat.JPG
    wheat.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
We'll need to fix our notation in order to understand each other. Start by labeling nodes in the circuit as follows.

Node a connects [itex]R_1[/itex] and [itex]R_2[/itex].
Node b connects [itex]R_1[/itex], [itex]R_5[/itex], and [itex]R_4[/itex]
Node c connects [itex]R_2[/itex], [itex]R_5[/itex], and [itex]R_3[/itex].
Node d connects [itex]R_3[/itex] and [itex]R_4[/itex].

Let the voltages at these nodes be [itex]v_a[/itex], [itex]v_b[/itex], [itex]v_c[/itex], and [itex]v_d[/itex]. Since only potential differences are physically meaningful you can set any one of these equal to zero. Just so our notations match, let [itex]v_d[/itex]=0.

Now you have to assume a direction for the currents through the resistors. Let the currents flow from top to bottom. Recalling that currents flow from higher potentials to lower ones, you should be able to write down expressions for the currents through the resistors in terms of the node voltages and resistances. Then you need to do the following.

1.) Apply KCL. There are only 2 nodes at which you can apply KCL, because you don't know the current flowing through the battery. So it should be easy to see where to do it. This will give you 2 equations, which is all you need.
2.) If the current [itex]i_5[/itex] through resistor [itex]R_5[/itex] is zero, then which two node voltages must be equal? This will eliminate one of the unknowns.

At this point you should be able to derive the result.

Related to Wheatstone bridge in Linear Algebra

1. What is a Wheatstone bridge and how is it used in Linear Algebra?

A Wheatstone bridge is a circuit used to measure the unknown resistance of a component by comparing it with a known resistance. In Linear Algebra, it is used as a model to solve systems of linear equations and to find the unknown variables in a system.

2. How does a Wheatstone bridge work?

A Wheatstone bridge consists of four resistors, with two on each side of a central point. A voltage is applied to the two outer resistors, and the voltage at the central point is measured. By comparing the voltage at the central point with the known resistances of the outer resistors, the unknown resistance can be calculated.

3. Can a Wheatstone bridge be used to solve any system of linear equations?

No, a Wheatstone bridge can only be used to solve systems of linear equations that have the same number of equations as unknown variables. It is also limited to systems with linearly independent equations.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Wheatstone bridge in Linear Algebra?

Yes, a Wheatstone bridge can only solve systems of linear equations that have a unique solution. It cannot be used for systems with no solution or infinite solutions.

5. How is a Wheatstone bridge related to other concepts in Linear Algebra?

A Wheatstone bridge is closely related to the concept of Gaussian elimination, which is a method for solving systems of linear equations. Both use the idea of comparing known and unknown values to find a solution. Additionally, the principle of superposition, which is used in solving circuits and systems of equations, is also related to the Wheatstone bridge.