Wheatstone bridge arrangement with an ideal wire in middle

In summary, the problem involves a circuit with four resistors (A, B, C, D) connected to a 2v battery with ideal wires. The resistors have values of A=20ohms, B=15ohms, C=5ohms, and D=10ohms. The goal is to find the current through the connecting wire (represented by dashes) using the equation V=I*R. By analyzing the circuit and calculating the current in each resistor, it is determined that the current drawn from the source is 0.2 amperes. This leads to the conclusion that the current through the connecting wire is also 0.2 amperes.
_RisH_

Homework Statement

I came across this questions in one of the online entrance tests,so i do not remember the exact values,I remembered the arrangement.
|....B...D distorted)
|________|_______|

A,B,C,D are resistances connected to a 2v battery.Rest everything are ideal wires.We have to find the current through the connecting wire(-----).

Let A-20ohms,B-15ohm,C-5ohms,D-10ohms

Homework Equations

V=I*R

The Attempt at a Solution

The current flowing in ---- wire will be the difference in potential across it divided by the resistance.But since it is ideal it has 0 resistance which gives infinite current.I am totally confused.(The answer is a finite value.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums. :smile:

Forget about the bridge, just concentrate on determining the current in each resistor, first. Obviously, resistors A and C are in parallel?

Yes...but ignoring the bridge would mean (AseriesB)||(C series D) ri8?

_RisH_ said:

No. It would mean (A parallel C) in series with (B parallel D). Calculate the current through the resistors and from this you can find the current through the bridge.

_RisH_ said:

I'm not saying ignore anything, nor suggesting any alterations to the circuit. I'm suggesting that you not get hung up on it being any special arrangement or having any special name. Just analyse it as a 4 resistor circuit to determine the current in each of the 4 resistors. The connecting wire remains in place right where it is.

Your first step could be to determine the current drawn from the source, once you have calculated the effective resistance of that bunch.

Then we'll take a closer look ...

A||C-4ohms B||D-6 ohms. Equiv. resis.=10 ohms.So current drawn is .2 ampere.Is this correct?

_RisH_ said:
A||C-4ohms B||D-6 ohms. Equiv. resis.=10 ohms.So current drawn is .2 ampere.Is this correct?

Correct.Now find the current through C & D (or A & B) and hence you will get the current through the connecting wire.

Related to Wheatstone bridge arrangement with an ideal wire in middle

1. What is a Wheatstone bridge arrangement with an ideal wire in the middle?

A Wheatstone bridge arrangement with an ideal wire in the middle is a circuit used for measuring unknown electrical resistances. It consists of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape, with the unknown resistance connected to the midpoint of the bridge. An ideal wire, which has zero resistance, is placed in the middle of the bridge to balance the circuit.

2. How does the Wheatstone bridge arrangement with an ideal wire work?

The ideal wire in the middle of the bridge acts as a null point, meaning there is no voltage drop across it. This allows for a balanced circuit, where the voltage at the two ends of the bridge are equal. By adjusting one of the resistors in the bridge, the voltage at the null point can be measured and used to calculate the value of the unknown resistance.

3. What are the advantages of using the Wheatstone bridge arrangement?

The Wheatstone bridge arrangement is highly accurate and sensitive, making it useful for measuring small changes in resistance. It also eliminates errors caused by variations in the power supply or connecting wires. It is also a simple and inexpensive circuit to construct.

4. What is the ideal wire in the Wheatstone bridge arrangement made of?

The ideal wire is a theoretical concept and does not actually exist. However, in practical applications, a low-resistance wire such as copper or silver is used to minimize any potential errors in the circuit.

5. What are some common uses for the Wheatstone bridge arrangement?

The Wheatstone bridge arrangement is commonly used in strain gauges, which measure small changes in resistance due to mechanical strain. It is also used in medical equipment for measuring the resistance of human tissue, and in electronic devices for measuring and controlling resistances in circuits.