NEED HELP Wheatstone bridge and DC series/parallel Please look

In summary, the conversation revolved around three problems related to Wheatstone bridge and DC series/parallel circuits. The first problem involved finding the value of R1 in a circuit with given values for R2, I, and V. The second problem involved determining an unknown resistance, Rx, in a balanced Wheatstone bridge with given values for L2, L3, and R1. The third problem required calculating the current of A in a circuit with four given resistors. The conversation also included some confusion and discrepancies with the diagrams and problem numbers provided.
mstehman88
NEED HELP ASAP! Wheatstone bridge and DC series/parallel ! Please look!

I have three problems I need help solving.

Problem #1:
Fine the value R1 in the figure if R2 = 30ohm, I = 0.5A and V = 10V

My try was:

Rp = R1 + R2 , 20 = R1 + 30 , R1 = -10?

** please look for attached diagram problem 1

------------

Problem # 2

You have a balanced wheatstone bridge at L2= 45cm, mark ( where L2 + L3 = 100cm ) and R1 = 100ohm, what is the unkown resistance Rx?

** please look at attached diagram for problem 2

Problem #3.

Calculate the current of A in the figure if R1 = 250ohms, R2 = 400ohms, R3 = 200ohms and R4 = 200ohms

** please look at problem 3 for the diagram attached.

I had I = V/R with 45V/450 Ohm which gave me 0.1 A I combined the resistors to 400, 400, 250 on the diagram.

Attachments

• problem1.jpg
    problem1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 387
  • problem2.jpg
    problem2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 400
  • problem3a.jpg
    problem3a.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org

For problem #1, the total resistance is 20 ohm (10v/.5A). However, the formula for resistors in parallel is not what you're using. Parallel resistance is computed using 1/R(total) = 1/R(1) + 1/R(2) + ... You have R(total) and R(2) so the resistance for R(1) should be easy to solve.

For problem #2, I'm not sure what to make of that problem.

Problem #3 does have a current of .1A

Are u sure regarding problem 2's diagram?
THERE'S NO L1,L2.

Yes problem 2's photo goes to the problem 2.

Seems like problem 4 about the Wheatstone bridge is referencing some other problem that is on the paper. It says "you have balance THE Wheatstone bridge", usually it would be written as "you have balanced A Wheatstone bridge".

but there's no L1 and L2 given in diagram.

The problem numbers on the paper don't match what I've posted here. But that's all that was given :( I have no idea

Related to NEED HELP Wheatstone bridge and DC series/parallel Please look

1. How does a Wheatstone bridge work?

A Wheatstone bridge is a type of electrical circuit used to accurately measure resistances. It consists of four resistors arranged in a diamond shape, with two of the resistors connected in series and the other two connected in parallel. By adjusting the values of the resistors, the bridge can be balanced and the unknown resistance can be calculated using Ohm's law.

2. What is the purpose of a Wheatstone bridge?

The main purpose of a Wheatstone bridge is to accurately measure unknown resistances. It is commonly used in laboratory settings for precise measurements in electrical circuits, as well as in industrial settings for quality control and testing of electronic components.

3. How do you calculate the unknown resistance in a Wheatstone bridge?

To calculate the unknown resistance in a Wheatstone bridge, you can use the formula Rx = (R3/R4) * R2, where Rx is the unknown resistance, R3 and R4 are the resistances in the two branches of the bridge, and R2 is the known resistance in the other branch.

4. What is the difference between a DC series and a parallel circuit?

In a DC series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, with the current flowing through each component in succession. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, with the current dividing and flowing through each branch simultaneously. This results in different voltage and current characteristics for each type of circuit.

5. How do you calculate total resistance in a DC series or parallel circuit?

In a DC series circuit, the total resistance is simply the sum of all individual resistances in the circuit. However, in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where RT is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances in each branch.