What's wrong with my Q550 atom CPU?

• Thread starter hermannie123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom cpu
In summary, the CPU usage on my Fujitsu Q550 Atom CPU is very strange, fluctuating between 5%~60% even when there is nothing running on it. I think I need to return the product based on this strange CPU usage.
hermannie123
What's wrong with my Q550 atom CPU??

I brought a Fujitsu Q550 one week ago from J&R via Amazon.
I would like to use it with Onenote for jotting note during class
However, it is running very slow, I would barely use the Onenote alone, can't open any other pdf ebook at the same time, otherwise too slow- even can't recognize the touch pen.

I then check the CPU usage, it's fluctuating between 5%~60% even when there is nothing running on it in balance mode. (see the attachment, i capture the task manager window)

The Processor for the Q550 is Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z670 @1.50GHz

It's a atom, but is it suppose to run that slow & have a CPU usage, it's fluctuating between 5%~60%?

So, my final question is: do I need to return this product based on the strange CPU usage?? should the whole model of the Q550 have a strange CPU usage (because of the atom processor) or only MINE Q550 have sth wrong ?
Everything about the Q550 is great, except it's slow performance pull back everything.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 506
Computer science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

2.0, i read some review, they have 2.0 too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aO37L6SqMQ&feature=related
watch the beginning, the CPU usage is around 1x% only...

should I return my product?? I just installed the office& acrobat & bitdefender...

I just used the Process Explorer v15.05 to check (see attachment), but I don't think there is any particular program largely consuming the CPU.

Attachments

• Capture a.PNG
    Capture a.PNG
    53.9 KB · Views: 511
  • Capture b.PNG
    Capture b.PNG
    52 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

One feature of Process Explorer that I should have mentioned is that you can have a historical graph of the cpu usage for each process... so that you can see if some processes spike up periodically.

... right-click on the top of a column.. select columns...process performance... cpu history...

What is causing the rippling cpu usage (in the graph of your first image)?

found out to be the Toolbar Updateer Service...
what's that ? should I kill the process?

Attachments

• 123.PNG
    123.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 488

Another feature...
you can right-click on the process name and do an online search for it.

Sounds like unnecessary spyware to me... but you should look online to decide for yourself. You can try to kill the process to see if your system performance improves.

Another useful utility:
Autoruns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902
which let's you selectively disable programs from starting up with Windows.

I did a search for it, found out it is a program called'' startnow toolbar''. I then uninstall the program, and CPU go down back to 1~2%. The Q550 speeded up to what it should be ( just like those showed in the review in youtube). I think the problem is fixed, if everything maintain like this for 2~3 more days.

It must be the accompanying toolbar installation to the program I installed on my Q550 . But it was weird, any programs I installed on my Q550 had installed on my laptop, and I never faced a problem like that.

Thankyou robphy

Related to What's wrong with my Q550 atom CPU?

1. What are the common issues with the Q550 Atom CPU?

The most common issues with the Q550 Atom CPU include overheating, slow performance, blue screen errors, and compatibility issues with certain software or hardware.

2. How can I troubleshoot overheating issues with my Q550 Atom CPU?

To troubleshoot overheating issues, you can try cleaning the CPU fan and vents, ensuring proper airflow, updating the BIOS, and using a cooling pad. If the problem persists, it may be due to a faulty CPU or inadequate cooling system.

3. Why is my Q550 Atom CPU running slow?

The Q550 Atom CPU is designed for basic tasks and may struggle with more demanding applications. However, if your CPU is running significantly slower than usual, it may be due to a virus or malware, insufficient RAM, or a failing hard drive.

4. Can I upgrade the Q550 Atom CPU?

No, the Q550 Atom CPU is soldered onto the motherboard and cannot be upgraded. If you need better performance, you may need to consider investing in a new computer with a more powerful CPU.

5. How can I fix compatibility issues with my Q550 Atom CPU?

To fix compatibility issues, you can try updating your drivers and software, checking for BIOS updates, and adjusting compatibility settings. If the problem persists, it may be due to hardware limitations of the Q550 Atom CPU.