What's wrong with LaTeX on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation discusses various issues and tips related to using LaTeX on Physics Forums. The most common reason for LaTeX not working is because it is not enabled in the forum settings, and users must manually enable it in their account preferences. For fixing formatting issues, it is recommended to double check the code and use the preview feature before submitting. Compatibility issues with the forum's software could also cause incorrect display of LaTeX code, and using a different browser or updating the current one may help. Custom LaTeX packages cannot be used on Physics Forums, but the enabled packages should cover most needs. Some tips for using LaTeX on the site include using the preview feature, using "code" tags, and familiarizing oneself with the available commands and packages.
WolfOfTheSteps
I can't get LaTeX to newline on these forums. The following code produces the LaTeX output shown below:

This\ is\ the\ first\ line \\
This\ is\ the\ second\ line \\[tex]

This\ is\ the\ first\ line \\
This\ is\ the\ second\ line \\

[/tex]

Isn't "\\" the newline command? Why isn't it working?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it needs to be [/tex] at the end not [\tex]. Just a guess, not sure if that's the problem.

No, unfortunately that's not the problem. :(

newline doesn't work at PF (nor does the equation reference system, for that matter)
You have to make separate tex-lines instead.

Related to What's wrong with LaTeX on Physics Forums?

1. Why is LaTeX not working on Physics Forums?

The most common reason for LaTeX not working on Physics Forums is because it is not enabled in the forum settings. Users must go to their account preferences and select "Enable LaTeX" in order to use it on the site.

2. How can I fix formatting issues with LaTeX on Physics Forums?

If you are experiencing formatting issues with LaTeX on Physics Forums, it is likely due to incorrect syntax or missing brackets. Double check your code and make sure all brackets are closed properly. You can also use the preview feature before submitting your post to ensure the formatting is correct.

3. Why is my LaTeX code not displaying correctly on Physics Forums?

If your LaTeX code is not displaying correctly on Physics Forums, it could be due to a compatibility issue with the forum's software. Try using a different browser or updating your current browser to see if that resolves the issue.

4. Can I use custom LaTeX packages on Physics Forums?

Physics Forums has a limited set of packages that are enabled for use on the site. It is not possible to use custom packages, but the enabled packages should cover most needs for mathematical equations and symbols.

5. Are there any tips for using LaTeX on Physics Forums?

Some tips for using LaTeX on Physics Forums include using the preview feature before posting, using the "code" tags to display your LaTeX code, and familiarizing yourself with the available LaTeX commands and packages on the site.