What's the science behind the haunting film Melancholia?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch
In summary, the conversation revolved around the movie "Melancholia" and the opinions of the participants. One person found the first half of the movie slow and lacking sci-fi elements, but the second half was more interesting and thought-provoking. Another person enjoyed the psychological aspect and the plot, but found the physics to be illogical. Overall, the movie was described as powerful, haunting, and beautifully filmed with strong performances. One person would not watch it again, while another found it to be a hard but enjoyable watch. The conversation also briefly mentioned another movie with more interesting science.
Watched it a few nights ago and still thinking about it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527186/

First part of the movie is super slow and has no sci-fi in it. However the second part is much more interesting. Certainly lots to think about and examine in the end. Very haunting. My mind is really confused what to ultimately think of the movie.

Physics news on Phys.org
Even though I watched the ending part of it (from the part where the horses calmed down, it was probably the last half hour), I can say that I find it really interesting, the film had an unusual atmospherical mood. I liked the architecture of the manor.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Hi Greg:

I found the psychology of the characters reasonably realistic, and the plot premise entertaining. However, although it has been quite since I saw it, and I don't remember the details, as I remember it I thought the physics regarding the "new planet" was completely illogical.

Regards,
Buzz

I found it a powerful and haunting meditation on the experience of hope, fear, courage and depression
The two sisters Claire? and Justine? - the things that relate them. Beautifully filmed with strong performances IMO.

Last edited:
I don't think I would watch Melancholia again. I've seen it all once and parts twice. But it's a hard one...

This one is more fun... and I think get's into some interesting science :biggrin:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2096673/

Related to What's the science behind the haunting film Melancholia?

What is the plot of Melancholia?

The plot of Melancholia centers around two sisters, Justine and Claire, and their reactions to the impending collision of a rogue planet with Earth. Justine, who suffers from severe depression, struggles to find meaning in the face of the apocalypse, while Claire desperately tries to keep her family together and survive.

Who directed Melancholia?

Melancholia was directed by Lars von Trier, a Danish filmmaker known for his provocative and controversial works.

Who stars in Melancholia?

Kirsten Dunst stars as Justine and Charlotte Gainsbourg stars as Claire. Other notable cast members include Alexander Skarsgård, Kiefer Sutherland, and John Hurt.

What is the meaning of the title "Melancholia"?

The title "Melancholia" refers to the mental state of extreme sadness and despair, which is a central theme in the film. It also references the name of the rogue planet that threatens to collide with Earth.

Is Melancholia based on a true story?

No, Melancholia is not based on a true story. However, the film's depiction of depression and anxiety has been praised for its realism and accuracy.