What's the restoring force, if there's a mass on a string.

In summary: In this case, the restoring force is always directed in the same direction as the weight, which would be down if the mass is hanging vertically.The net sum of forces is the total force acting on the object, and in this case, it is the sum of the weight and the spring restoring force.
axer
Hello, I'm finding difficulties understanding the logic behind the multiple choice answers and the exams are near(finals! :))
What's the restoring force, if there's a mass on a string?

mg
m
m/g
– m
– mg

I know F=-kx and that F=weight and weight=mg. But i don't know which answer is the correct,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The weight is the downward force on the mass (due to gravity). I assume this is a mass hanging vertically on a spring?
Can you identify all of the forces on the mass?
Which ones do not make sense? Think about the dimensions of each answer.
The sign (pos/neg) will depend on the convention chosen.

scottdave said:
The weight is the downward force on the mass. I assume this is a mass hanging vertically on a spring?
Can you identify all of the forces on the mass?
Which ones do not make sense? Think about the dimensions of each answer.
The sign (pos/neg) will depend on the convention chosen.
I would exclude
m
-m
m/g

Wait a second, if the restoring force is in the opposing direction of the weight. so the answer is -mg? ( - )indicates direction.right? :/

Likes scottdave
axer said:
I would exclude
m
-m
m/g

Wait a second, if the restoring force is in the opposing direction of the weight. so the answer is -mg? ( - )indicates direction.right? :/
That's the answer I would pick. Since g points down, the spring pulls in the opposite direction. The magnitude is equal to mg, if it is not accelerating.

The net sum of forces = mass x acceleration.

Likes axer
axer said:
What's the restoring force
I don't think this is a good question. (Not for the first time) But you have to play their game. :smile:
The units of force means the required answer has to be + or - mg (dimensions must always be consistent)
The actual net restoring force is due to the displacement and weight and is mg-kx where x is the displacement from equilibrium position. The restoring force at equilibrium will be zero, if we're being picky and if we're aiming in the SHM direction.
If mg is the weight, the force from the spring will need to be -mg so I guess that's what they want.

Likes scottdave, CWatters and axer
Thank you both! :)

The term "restoring force" indicates two things:
1) a force
2) a force that tends to push things back to an undisturbed state.
For a mass hanging on a string (assumed to be inextensible), I would say that there is no restoring force; there is no previous state to be restored and no force tending to do such an action.
For a mass on a spring (assume to be flexible), the restoring force is the force developed in the spring attempting to return to the system to the state where the spring is unstrained.

Related to What's the restoring force, if there's a mass on a string.

1. What is a restoring force?

A restoring force is a force that acts on an object to bring it back to its original position after it has been displaced.

2. How is a restoring force related to a mass on a string?

A restoring force is related to a mass on a string because the string provides tension, which is a type of restoring force, to bring the mass back to its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the restoring force?

The magnitude of the restoring force is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the string, and the distance the object is displaced from its equilibrium position.

4. How is the direction of the restoring force determined?

The direction of the restoring force is determined by the direction of the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. The restoring force always acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

5. Can the restoring force change over time?

Yes, the restoring force can change over time if the displacement of the object also changes. As the object moves, the tension in the string may change, resulting in a change in the magnitude and direction of the restoring force.