What's the reference frame for the universe as a whole?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of reference frames in relation to the universe. It was established that there is no specific reference frame for the universe as the expansion is happening everywhere. The speaker also clarified that a reference frame is a set of 3D coordinates and can be based on the Earth or oneself. The idea of the universe being relative to anything was also explored, with the conclusion being that it is not relative to anything as it encompasses all that exists. The conversation then shifted to discussing the concept of motion and how it is relative to a reference frame. Finally, the speaker provided a resource for further understanding the expansion of the universe.
jhus96
I'm just beginning physics and teaching myself classical physics from an intro physics textbook and in the 2nd chapter it described reference frames. This got me thinking. My reference frame is the earth, as that is what I use to describe position, displacement, ect. But what is the reference frame for the universe? I'm not even sure if this is a valid question because we don't know if our universe is moving or not; however we know it's expanding, so mustn't this motion of expansion be in some sort of reference frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no "reference frame for the universe". The expansion is not happening from a point, it's happening everywhere.

Also, technically, your reference frame is not the Earth, your reference frame is YOU. You can take some set of coordinates based on the Earth as a reference frame and measure your motion in that reference frame, or you can take yourself as a reference frame and measure the Earth's motion in that frame. For example, when you are walking, the Earth is spinning under you in your reference frame.

All of that is a bit loose, however. Really, a reference frame is a set of 3D coordinates, so talking about you or the Earth as a reference frame is a bit sloppy.

phinds said:
There is no "reference frame for the universe". The expansion is not happening from a point, it's happening everywhere.
So what exactly is outside our universe? If anything at all? Also, even if the universe is expanding at different points, it doesn't matter because there's motion happening, and If there's motion there must be some way of knowing there's a motion, thus there has to be a reference frame to decipher the fact that there is motion. Theoretically there can still be a reference frame right?

phinds said:

Also, technically, your reference frame is not the Earth, your reference frame is YOU. You can take some set of coordinates based on the Earth as a reference frame and measure your motion in that reference frame, or you can take yourself as a reference frame and measure the Earth's motion in that frame. For example, when you are walking, the Earth is spinning under you in your reference frame.

All of that is a bit loose, however. Really, a reference frame is a set of 3D coordinates, so talking about you or the Earth as a reference frame is a bit sloppy.
So is the universe relative to anything? Or do we simply not know enough yet to come to that conclusion?

phinds said:

What is an "unsloppy" example of a reference frame?

jhus96 said:
So is the universe relative to anything? Or do we simply not know enough yet to come to that conclusion?
That's a question that is phrased in such a way as to imply that it has an answer but it is so vague that it doesn't really.

jhus96 said:
What is an "unsloppy" example of a reference frame?
As I said in my original response, a 3D coordinate system. Take the edge of your desk. Excellent frame of reference. YOU are not a good frame of reference because you are a wiggly non-rigid body. The universe is not a frame of reference because it has lots of moving parts (that is, parts moving relative to each other)

And by the way, there's an issue in your OP that I didn't address because I didn't want to cloud the issue about FOR's and that is that you asked if you universe is moving. For "moving" to be meaningful, you have to specify what it is that you are talking about something moving relative to, since all motion is relative.

For the universe to be moving relative to something, that something would have to be outside the universe, but there IS no "outside the universe".

phinds said:
And by the way, there's an issue in your OP that I didn't address because I didn't want to cloud the issue about FOR's and that is that you asked if you universe is moving. For "moving" to be meaningful, you have to specify what it is that you are talking about something moving relative to, since all motion is relative.

I think I see what you're saying.

jhus96 said:
So what exactly is outside our universe?

The universe is, by definition, all that there is. There is no outside.

A reference frame is a coordinate system. You can have as many as you want. There is no "the" reference frame for anything.

Thank you CWatters! I came here with the exact question your link is answering to!

Related to What's the reference frame for the universe as a whole?

1. What is the reference frame for the universe as a whole?

The reference frame for the universe as a whole is a highly debated topic among scientists. Currently, there is no consensus on a single reference frame that applies to the entire universe. Some theories suggest that the reference frame is relative to the observer's frame of reference, while others propose a fixed reference frame based on the cosmic microwave background radiation.

2. How do scientists determine the reference frame for the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods and theories to try to determine the reference frame for the universe. These include studying the properties and behavior of cosmic objects, analyzing the cosmic microwave background radiation, and exploring the principles of relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. Can the reference frame for the universe change?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the reference frame for the universe can change. However, as our understanding of the universe continues to evolve, it is possible that new discoveries may lead to a better understanding of the reference frame.

4. Does the reference frame for the universe affect our measurements and observations?

Yes, the reference frame for the universe can have an impact on our measurements and observations. For example, the cosmic microwave background radiation can provide a reference frame for measuring the expansion of the universe, and the observer's frame of reference can affect the perception of time and space.

5. Is the reference frame for the universe the same as the reference frame for Earth?

No, the reference frame for the universe is not the same as the reference frame for Earth. The reference frame for Earth is based on the rotation of the planet, while the reference frame for the universe is much larger and more complex, taking into account the movement and interactions of all cosmic objects.