What's the most appropriate path?

• Courses
  • Thread starter HyperTechno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the local university offers a software engineering degree program that is accredited by IET UK, but it is not a prestigious university. The advantage of the Japanese university is that it is ranked much higher and offers better education. However, the initial costs are higher.
HyperTechno
I'm a student, who's entering the higher education. I'm interested on Software Engineering, Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
I have two opportunities, in selecting a University to secure one of the above degrees.
One is a local university, that offers 4 year degree programs related to above subjects. It's Software engineering degree program is Accredited by IET UK. How ever, the global rank of that university is "6977",which is not so impressive. But the advantage is that I can afford the entire 4 year software engineering course ($ 10000) without doing any part time work. So that I can use most of my time for my studies.

Other is, traveling abroad (in my case Japan) for my higher education. There I get the chance to learn from well recognised universities that are ranked much higher than the previously stated local university. But then, I can only afford the initial costs. I definitely have to do a part time job to pay for the tuition, exams, books, living and my other general needs. Which means the amount of time I get to allocate for my studies is lower. But because of the higher standard of the Japanese education, I lean towards it. Can anyone give me an advice on this matter? What's the most appropriate path for me? Please help! Thanks a lot for even taking your time for reading this.

P.S. - If I enter the local university, I'll most probably be doing software engineering, but if I enter a Japanese university, I'd be willing to do electrical or electronic engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much exposure have you had to CS versus EE? Do either of your university choices allow you to take 2 years of courses in both before you declare your final major? That can be a big advantage if you aren't sure which route you want to to.

And as for "prestige" in a university choice, I personally wouldn't worry too much about that. As a person who interviews and hires EEs and CS majors, I look much more at how they have done in school, and what projects they have worked on, and what their work experience is like.

berkeman said:
How much exposure have you had to CS versus EE?
I'm sorry. Can you please explain this a bit? I don't get it.

Did you refer "CS" to Computer Science and "EE" for Electrical Engineering?

HyperTechno said:
Did you refer "CS" to Computer Science and "EE" for Electrical Engineering?
Yes, sorry for the confusion. By CS I mean software engineering / computer science, and EE is hardware electrical engineering.

When I first went to university, I was planning on double-majoring in EE and ME (mechanical engineering), but I learned in the first year or so that I enjoyed EE and CS more than ME, and ended up declaring in a combined EE/CS program. If I'd had to pick before taking some university classes, I could have ended up in a major that I didn't really enjoy as much as the one I was able to finally declare for. That's a big advantage, IMO -- being able to take a year or two of general engineering & physics classes before you have to make your decision and declare your major.

berkeman said:
Yes, sorry for the confusion. By CS I mean software engineering / computer science, and EE is hardware electrical engineering.

When I first went to university, I was planning on double-majoring in EE and ME (mechanical engineering), but I learned in the first year or so that I enjoyed EE and CS more than ME, and ended up declaring in a combined EE/CS program. If I'd had to pick before taking some university classes, I could have ended up in a major that I didn't really enjoy as much as the one I was able to finally declare for. That's a big advantage, IMO -- being able to take a year or two of general engineering & physics classes before you have to make your decision and declare your major.
Understand, but I need an advice on the path that I should choose. As I've stated previously, I like electrical engineering as well as software engineering, I've 2 choices, the local university or a Japanese university.
The local university offers 4 year courses for Electrical engineering, Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, under their engineering faculty and 4 year courses for Information Technology, specializing in Software Engineering,
Computer systems and network engineering &
Information systems engineering under their school of computing.http://computing.sliit.lk/courses/
All these courses (under the school of computing) are accredited by IET UK.
https://www.google.lk/url?sa=t&sour...Xjiw0C32wRz6jkHfw&sig2=yhBNg6oLdLpAWvQU7smbcw
None of the engineering courses(under the engineering faculty) are accredited by any kind of international institution. That's why I'm interested on the software engineering program, because this institute holds the global rank of 6977, which isn't impressive.
But the advantage is that I can afford the entire 4 year software engineering course ($ 10000) without doing any part time work. So that I can use most of my time for my studies.

Other is, traveling abroad (in my case Japan) for my higher education. There I get the chance to learn from well recognised universities that are ranked much higher than the previously stated local university.
But then, I can only afford the initial costs. I definitely have to do a part time job to pay for the tuition, exams, books, living and my other general needs. Which means the amount oftime I get to allocate for my studies is lower.
But because of the higher standard of theJapanese education, I lean towards it.

I want an advice in selecting the most appropriate path for my higher education, because this is one of the most important choices I've got to make that affects my future. I am sorry for writing too much like this, sorry for any inconveniences. But please help me.

Last edited:

Related to What's the most appropriate path?

What's the most appropriate path?

The most appropriate path is the one that aligns with your goals and values. It may also depend on your skills, interests, and resources. It's important to carefully consider all of these factors when determining the most appropriate path for you.

How do I know which path is right for me?

There is no one right answer for everyone. It's important to reflect on your strengths, passions, and goals to determine which path aligns best with who you are and what you want to achieve. Seeking guidance from mentors or career counselors can also be helpful in finding the right path for you.

What if I'm not sure what I want to do?

It's completely normal to not have a clear idea of what you want to do. Take some time to explore different options and gain experience in various fields through internships, volunteering, or part-time jobs. You can also talk to people in different industries and ask them about their career paths to gain more insight.

Is it better to follow my passion or choose a more practical path?

It's important to strike a balance between following your passion and being practical. Your passion can provide motivation and fulfillment, but it's also important to consider the job market and potential for growth in your chosen field. Consider if there are ways to combine your passion with practicality in your career path.

Can I change my path if I'm not happy with it?

Yes, it's never too late to change your path if you're not happy with it. Many people have successful career changes later in life. It's important to evaluate your options and make a well-informed decision. You can also seek guidance and support from career counselors or mentors during this process.