What's the highest energy produced in an accelerator?

In summary: The Collider Detector Facility group had found 56 top candidates over a predicted background of 23. This means that out of the expected number of top candidates, they were able to find 56. This means that they are pretty confident in their predictions for the number of top candidates. They used this number to calculate the top quark mass. '...and the D0 group found 17 events over a predicted background of 3.8. The value for the top quark mass from the combined data of the two groups after the completion of the run was 174.3 +/- 5.1 GeV.'The Collider Detector Facility group found 17 events over a predicted background of 3.8. This means that out of the
Chaos' lil bro Order
What's the current maximum particle energy we can produce on earth?

Also, what is the maximum we theoretically will achieve from proposed future accelerators, like the big loop at the LHC? I'm guessing 1TeV.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chaos' lil bro Order said:
What's the current maximum particle energy we can produce on earth?

Also, what is the maximum we theoretically will achieve from proposed future accelerators, like the big loop at the LHC? I'm guessing 1TeV.

The Tevatron collider outside Chicago can get up to 1 TEV in its beam and primary collisions, as its name implies, but not all that energy can be presented in one particle. The maximum particle energy I think they're looking at is around 200 GEV. LHC will be around twice that energetic. The most energetic thing Tevatron has done so far is refine the mass of the top quark, which is now placed at 119 GEV.

The expected mass of the Higgs is now expected to be somewhere in the range 219 GEV to 250 GEV.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
The Tevatron collider outside Chicago can get up to 1 TEV in its beam and primary collisions, as its name implies, but not all that energy can be presented in one particle. The maximum particle energy I think they're looking at is around 200 GEV. LHC will be around twice that energetic. The most energetic thing Tevatron has done so far is refine the mass of the top quark, which is now placed at 119 GEV.

The expected mass of the Higgs is now expected to be somewhere in the range 219 GEV to 250 GEV.

Are you sure about your numbers for the LHC? I mean, the maximum beam energy will be 7 TeV (or 7 times larger than the Tevatron). So, why shouldn't the maximum particle mass created scale similarly?

Parlyne said:
Are you sure about your numbers for the LHC? I mean, the maximum beam energy will be 7 TeV (or 7 times larger than the Tevatron). So, why shouldn't the maximum particle mass created scale similarly?

Could be, I was just speaking from memory. The point is they will be able to explore the weak scale (200+ GEV) in detail.

There could also be the subtle detail whether the energy cited is the center of mass energy per parton. Those things are seldom cited clearly in ordinary reports released to the public.

Zz.

The Tevatron and the LHC are colliding nucleons together (the LHC is proton-proton while the Tevatron is proton-antiproton). Protons are mainly empty space, with a few quarks and gluons in them, so if you are at high enough energy, the protons will usually pass straight through each other.

Occasionally, the quarks or gluons from one proton colllide with similar from the other (anti)proton, giving you an interaction. The collider energy is the energy of the protons, not the quarks and gluons. Since this energy is shared out amongst the quarks and gluons, the actual collision energy is considerably less.

For example, in the LHC, the protons are mainly made up of gluons with a typical energy of about 600GeV. So a typical LHC collision probes about a TeV (although there are obviously tails in the distributions, so you will get some considerably higher).

And the top quark mass is around 175GeV not 119GeV.

The Higgs boson mass is most probably around 120GeV or so. Electroweak precision data indicate it is almost definitely less than about 200GeV.

selfAdjoint said:

Can you explain how you get the Top Quark to be 119 GEV? Are you sure you didn't make a mistake? Read this:

'The Collider Detector Facility group had found 56 top candidates over a predicted background of 23 and the D0 group found 17 events over a predicted background of 3.8. The value for the top quark mass from the combined data of the two groups after the completion of the run was 174.3 +/- 5.1 GeV. This is over 180 times the mass of a proton and about twice the mass of the next heaviest fundamental particle, the Z0 vector boson at about 93 GeV.'http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Chaos' lil bro Order said:
Can you explain how you get the Top Quark to be 119 GEV? Are you sure you didn't make a mistake? Read this:

'The Collider Detector Facility group had found 56 top candidates over a predicted background of 23 and the D0 group found 17 events over a predicted background of 3.8. The value for the top quark mass from the combined data of the two groups after the completion of the run was 174.3 +/- 5.1 GeV. This is over 180 times the mass of a proton and about twice the mass of the next heaviest fundamental particle, the Z0 vector boson at about 93 GeV.'http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html[/QUOTE]

I deeply apologize. The latest figures from the D0 experiment at Tevatron are mt = 177.7 ± 8.8(stat)+3.7
−4.5(syst) GeV. (published last July). I don't know where I got that other number! Teach me to post in a hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What's the highest energy produced in an accelerator?

What is an accelerator?

An accelerator is a scientific instrument that uses electromagnetic fields to propel charged particles to very high speeds and energies.

Why is it important to know the highest energy produced in an accelerator?

Knowing the highest energy produced in an accelerator helps scientists understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the laws of physics at the smallest scales.

How is energy measured in an accelerator?

Energy in an accelerator is typically measured in electron volts (eV) or joules (J). One electron volt is the amount of energy gained by an electron when it is accelerated through a potential difference of one volt.

What is the highest energy ever produced in an accelerator?

The highest energy ever produced in an accelerator was achieved at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Switzerland. In 2012, the LHC reached a maximum energy of 8 trillion electron volts (TeV).

What is the potential for even higher energies in the future?

Scientists are constantly working to push the limits of accelerator technology and reach even higher energies. Some proposed future accelerators, such as the International Linear Collider and the Future Circular Collider, have the potential to reach energies in the range of 100 trillion electron volts (TeV).