Particle Creation function of beam energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a graph that shows the particles produced at different energies in a particle accelerator. For electron-positron colliders, the energy needed for particle production is determined by the mass of the particle, with some exceptions for certain processes. For hadron colliders, the energy needed for particle production is more complicated and depends on the specific particles involved. Generally, higher energies result in more particle production, but there may be sudden jumps in production when the energy reaches the mass of a short-lived resonance.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
As you crank up the beam energy in particle accelerator, what particles are possible at each energy
This seems like it should be an easy and obvious thing to look up, but I had the hardest time finding it. Is there any graph which shows, as I increase the beam energy of a particle accelerator, what particles can be produced at each energy? Just looking for something ballpark here. Obviously there are a ton of hadrons and mesons, but maybe just the most important/famous/etc particles would appear on such a graph.

Physics news on Phys.org
For electron-positron colliders it's relatively easy: If the particle can be created in isolation (e.g. Z boson) then the collision energy needs to be its mass, if it is created in pairs (e.g. everything with quarks) then you need twice that energy. For every process you can just add up the mass of the produced particles: That's how much energy you need (speed of light squared as conversion factor).
If we skip the low energy region (where a lot of different things happen): 3 GeV for particles with charm quarks and tau, 10 GeV for particles with bottom quarks, ~90 GeV for the Z boson, ~160 GeV for W bosons, ~215 GeV for the Higgs boson (as the production of Z+H is the first relevant process), 350 GeV for top quarks. LEP reached 209 GeV, they just missed the Higgs.

For hadron colliders things are more complicated. The theoretical minimum is still the same but in practice you need much more energy to get a relevant production rate. These calculations are done particle by particle so you can often find cross sections ("production probabilities") as function of collision energy. Here are some cross sections

For any center of mass energy, W, the particles that can be created have to satisfy
[itex]\sum_i M_i\ge W[/itex], and the conservation laws of charge, etc.
For a fixed target, the lab kinetic energy is given in terms of the center of mass energy by
[itex](KE)_{\rm lab}=[W^2-(M+m)^2]/2M[/itex]. (Derive this.)

Excellent. I understand. I knew the particles created needed to be at least mc2, but I didn't know if there was any other requirement (of course, I understand all the necessary laws must be conserved).

One last question:

Once a reaction has the minimum mc2 to create the particle, are there ever higher energies (or a range of energies) beyond this minimum energy that creates the most particles?

Just to make things easy, suppose a particular hadron or meson has a mc2 of "1", but if I tuned my beam energies to say "3" or "4", would I get some energy that would create the most particles of mc2 of "1"? I'm using simple numbers here because I'm just interested in a qualitative, ballpark answer.

In electron-positron colliders there can be an ideal energy.
  • For the Z that's simply the Z mass.
  • For ZH the ideal energy is about 270 GeV. Lower and the phase space is very small (both particles need to be nearly at rest relative to each other), higher and other processes are more likely. Here is a plot.
  • For B mesons the ideal energy is the ##\Upsilon(4s)## resonance, which usually decays to pairs of B mesons. You might get more again at very high energy, but at least it's a strong local maximum.

For hadron colliders more is better - outside the low-energy region all the reactions get more likely with more energy.

Generally, the more the center of mass energy (W), the more particles are created.
However, if W equals the energy of a short-lived resonance, there is a large jump in particle creation.
For instance, when electrons collide with protons, pion production jumps when W approaches the mass of the [itex]\Delta[/itex] resonance.

1. What is the Particle Creation function of beam energy?

The Particle Creation function of beam energy is a mathematical formula that describes the probability of creating a new particle when two beams of particles collide at a given energy. It takes into account various factors such as the energy and momentum of the colliding particles, as well as the properties of the particles being created.

2. How is the Particle Creation function of beam energy calculated?

The Particle Creation function of beam energy is calculated using quantum field theory, which combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity. It involves complex mathematical equations and is often solved using computer simulations.

3. What does the Particle Creation function tell us about particle collisions?

The Particle Creation function provides valuable information about the likelihood of creating new particles in a collision. By studying this function, scientists can gain insights into the fundamental properties and interactions of particles, as well as the underlying laws of physics.

4. How does the Particle Creation function change with different beam energies?

The Particle Creation function is highly dependent on the energy of the colliding beams. As the energy increases, the probability of creating new particles also increases. However, at very high energies, the function may reach a plateau or even decrease due to other factors such as the available phase space for particle creation.

5. Why is the Particle Creation function important in particle physics research?

The Particle Creation function is a fundamental concept in particle physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions. By studying this function, scientists can make predictions about the outcomes of particle collisions and test the validity of various theories and models. It also helps in the design and optimization of experiments at particle accelerators.