Whats the dress code at national labs?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Labs
In summary, the appropriate attire for a grad student visiting a lab for a few days would be business casual, with the exception of any days that involve working with chemicals. It is important to follow safety guidelines and not dress in a sloppy manner, especially in a national lab where safety is of the utmost importance.
Topher925
Kind of a stupid question but I'm very interested to know. I would think business casual but a lot of the pictures I see online of people working in labs are wearing ordinary close (jeans and such). So if you were a grad student going to visit a lab for a few days what would you wear?

Physics news on Phys.org
Topher925 said:
Kind of a stupid question but I'm very interested to know. I would think business casual but a lot of the pictures I see online of people working in labs are wearing ordinary close (jeans and such). So if you were a grad student going to visit a lab for a few days what would you wear?
I'd wear business casual. That shows respect, then let them tell you that it's ok to dress more casually.

Today I saw the head of the physics division (say number 3 or 4 in the lab) wearing open shoes. That works especially well since he also wore socks, indicating he must be German, a total geek, and possibly both.

I liked to dress "business casual"myself, until an engineer told me synthetic is basically fire fuel, I never realized why it is inappropriate in the experimental hall. If you are a theoretician, just don't forget to put pants on. If in addition you manage to find matching color socks, they'll probably hire you.

Topher925 said:

While it is very casual (I mean, I wore shorts and t-shirts to work on many days), what you wear can often be determined by what you have to do. If you have to be on the experimental floor, open-toe shoes are strictly prohibited, and so are shorts. In fact, any kind of experimental work will require proper attire as dictated by the safety guidelines.

Other than that, if you are visiting for the first time, while you certainly don't need to dress up in suits, you shouldn't dress like a slob either (let the theorists on site monopolize that! :)).

Zz.

humanino said:
Today I saw the head of the physics division (say number 3 or 4 in the lab) wearing open shoes. That works especially well since he also wore socks, indicating he must be German, a total geek, and possibly both.

Ah..he could be from Seattle!

humanino said:
I liked to dress "business casual"myself, until an engineer told me synthetic is basically fire fuel, I never realized why it is inappropriate in the experimental hall.

I still don't get it. Don't experimentalists go down with the ship?

Pengwuino said:
I still don't get it. Don't experimentalists go down with the ship?

Yeah, but the engineers don't. They just send the ship down

ZapperZ said:
While it is very casual (I mean, I wore shorts and t-shirts to work on many days), what you wear can often be determined by what you have to do. If you have to be on the experimental floor, open-toe shoes are strictly prohibited, and so are shorts. In fact, any kind of experimental work will require proper attire as dictated by the safety guidelines.

Other than that, if you are visiting for the first time, while you certainly don't need to dress up in suits, you shouldn't dress like a slob either (let the theorists on site monopolize that! :)).

Zz.

For one of the days we are suppose to wear pants and closed toe shoes because we are working with chemicals. Other days we can wear shorts. It was stated that sneakers were ok but didn't mention anything else. I've worked in a lot of industrial labs before and they all have different standards. Some are very casual, others require you to wear a collard shirt and nice pants. They all required that you wear pants of some kind and closed toe shoes.

Exactly. :approve:

ZapperZ said:
...Other than that, if you are visiting for the first time, while you certainly don't need to dress up in suits, you shouldn't dress like a slob either (let the theorists on site monopolize that! :)).

Zz.

Now, now, I resemble that. When I was in grad school I was the prototypical theorist slob, shorts, tank-tops and nasty sneakers with my toes hanging out. If I could get away with that in the corporate world, I would.

Office_Shredder said:
It's fine to joke about a lot of things. But it's quite inappropriate, under any circumstances, to joke around with safety in a national lab. Safety violations can easily end up killing you, or worse, killing others. Please remember that if you spend a few days there.

Related to Whats the dress code at national labs?

1. What is the dress code at national labs?

The dress code at national labs varies depending on the specific lab and its policies. However, most national labs require employees to dress in business casual attire, which typically includes slacks or khakis and a collared shirt for men, and dress pants, skirts, or dresses for women.

2. Are there any restrictions on clothing or accessories?

Yes, there may be restrictions on clothing and accessories at national labs. For safety reasons, open-toed shoes, loose-fitting clothing, and dangling jewelry may not be allowed in certain areas of the lab. It is best to check with the specific lab for their restrictions and guidelines.

3. Can I wear casual attire on certain days or occasions?

Some national labs may have designated casual days or events where employees are allowed to dress more casually. However, it is important to always follow the dress code set by the lab, unless otherwise specified by a supervisor or manager.

4. Is there a specific dress code for meetings or presentations?

In most cases, the dress code for meetings or presentations at national labs is the same as the general dress code. However, if the meeting or presentation is with external partners or clients, it is recommended to dress in formal business attire to maintain a professional appearance.

5. Are there any consequences for not following the dress code?

Yes, not following the dress code at national labs can result in consequences such as a verbal warning, written warning, or even termination of employment. It is important to adhere to the dress code to maintain a professional and safe work environment.