What's the Best Way to Evaluate This Limit?

• Thread starter Philcorp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit as n approaches infinity of the integral from 0 to 1 of e^(t^n). The speaker is unsure how to approach this problem, but suggests using integral tricks and manipulating the summation limit. The other speaker suggests using the Taylor series and changing the limits of the integral. Ultimately, it is determined that the limit converges to 1.
Philcorp
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\int_0^1 e^{t^n}dt[/tex]. I am not really sure where to start to evaluate this limit, but I probably have enough tricks up my sleeve to solve it if someone knowledgeable is able to point me in the right direction. My usual integral tricks seem to fail here.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can get [tex]e^{t^n}[/tex] as close as you want to [tex]e^0=1[/tex] on [0,d), for any 0 < d < 1. Then take the limit as d -> 1.

You might do it this way:
[tex]e^{t^{n}}=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{ni}}{i!}[/tex]
Thus, switching about the summation limit and the integral (acceptable for any fixed n), we get:
[tex]\int_{0}^{1}e^{t^{n}}dt=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}\frac{t^{ni+1}}{(ni+1)i!}\mid_{0}^{1}=\sum_{i=0}^{1}\frac{1}{(ni+1)i!}[/tex]
This should converge to 1 as n jumps into the air,
since for i>=1, we have:
[tex]\frac{1}{(ni+1)i!}<\frac{1}{n}*\frac{1}{i!}[/tex]

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the help! Also, I think you mean it converges to 0? The replies have made me wonder about changing the limits on the integral to be from a to b, since it seems that the 0 to 1 case converges quite nicely, I should have thought to do a taylor series :blushing:, oops, and I am sure there is some nice upper limit for which this converges.

Thanks again!Oops, nope it is 1!

Last edited:

Related to What's the Best Way to Evaluate This Limit?

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in mathematics that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is a way to analyze the behavior of a function at a specific point without having to actually evaluate the function at that point.

2. How do I know if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the function approaches a single value as the input gets closer and closer to the specific point. This value is known as the limit of the function at that point. If the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of the point, the limit does not exist.

3. What are the different types of limits?

There are three types of limits: finite limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. Finite limits occur when the function approaches a single finite value. Infinite limits occur when the function approaches positive or negative infinity. Limits at infinity occur when the function approaches a single value as the input goes to positive or negative infinity.

4. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can either use algebraic techniques or graphical techniques. Algebraic techniques involve simplifying the function algebraically until the limit can be easily determined. Graphical techniques involve plotting the function and visually determining the limit at a specific point.

5. What are some common strategies for evaluating limits?

There are several strategies for evaluating limits, including direct substitution, factoring, using trigonometric identities, and using L'Hôpital's rule. It is important to choose the most appropriate strategy based on the type of limit and the function involved.