Changing the limits of integration, getting 0

In summary: Additionally, the function ##g(x)## must be differentiable on this interval, and the derivative of ##g(x)## with respect to ##u## must be continuous on the interior of this interval.
Mr Davis 97
I have the integral ##\displaystyle \int_0^{2 \pi} \frac{1-\cos x}{3+\cos x} ~ dx##. I want to make the tangent half-angle substitution ##t = \tan (x/2)## so that I can get a rational function. However, both limits of integration just become zero. This is the first case. In the second case, I notice that by symmetry the integral is equivalent to ##\displaystyle 2 \int_0^{\pi} \frac{1-\cos x}{3+\cos x} ~ dx##. With this case the substitution works just fine and I am able to evaluate the integral.

My question is, what if I just didn't happen to catch that symmetry argument? Would I just not be able to use the half-angle substitution, since both bounds go to zero? Is noticing the symmetry really the only way around this?

Physics news on Phys.org
So, for which t one has arctan(t)=pi?

I'd say it lies outside of arctan's range.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I want to make the tangent half-angle substitution t=tan(x/2)
I tried this substitution and found it intractable. For the integral,
$$I=2\int_ {0}^{\pi}\frac {1-cos(x)} {3+ cos(x)}dx$$
Let ## t=sin(\frac {x} {2})## with ##dt = \frac {1}{2}t \sqrt {1-t^2}dx## and the integral becomes,
$$I= 2\int_{0}^{1} \frac {tdt}{\sqrt {1-t^2}(1-\frac {t^2} {2})}$$
Make another substitution with ##u=t^2## and ##du=2tdt## to get,
$$I=\int_{0}^{1}\frac {du}{\sqrt {u}(1- \frac {u} {2}) \sqrt {1-u}}$$
I compare this with the hypergeometric integral
$$B(b,c-b)\;_ {2}F_1(a,b;c;z)=\int_{0}^{1}x^{b-1}(1-x)^{c-b-1}(1-zx)^{-a}dx$$
where B is the beta function. I get ##a=1##, ##b= \frac {1}{2}##, ##c=1##, ##z=\frac {1}{2}##, ##B(\frac {1}{2},\frac {1}{2}) = \pi##, to find
$$I=\pi \;_ {2}F_1(1,\frac {1}{2};1;\frac {1}{2})$$
I suspect there is a formula for giving this hypergeometric function as an algebraic number but I don't have access to the literature quoted on the Wikipedia page for the hypergeometric function.
Peace,
Fred

haushofer said:
So, for which t one has arctan(t)=pi?

I'd say it lies outside of arctan's range.
Good point. I guess my question now is, if I have an integral ##\int_a^b f(x) ~dx##, and I want to make the change of variables ##u = g(x)## or ##x = h(u)##, what are the formal restrictions on ##h## and ##g##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Good point. I guess my question now is, if I have an integral ##\int_a^b f(x) ~dx##, and I want to make the change of variables ##u = g(x)## or ##x = h(u)##, what are the formal restrictions on ##h## and ##g##?
The domain of ##g(x)## (or equivalently, the codomain of ##h(u)##) must contain the interval ##(a,b)##.

Related to Changing the limits of integration, getting 0

1. What does it mean to change the limits of integration?

Changing the limits of integration refers to adjusting the boundaries of the area or volume being measured in an integral. This can be done to better align with the problem at hand or to simplify the calculation.

2. How can changing the limits of integration result in getting 0?

Changing the limits of integration can result in getting 0 if the original integral is an odd function and the new limits are symmetric about the origin. This will result in the positive and negative areas canceling each other out, resulting in a final integral value of 0.

3. Can changing the limits of integration affect the accuracy of the integral?

Yes, changing the limits of integration can affect the accuracy of the integral. If the new limits do not accurately encompass the entire area or volume being measured, the integral will not be accurate. It is important to carefully choose the new limits to ensure accuracy.

4. Are there any specific techniques for changing the limits of integration?

Yes, there are specific techniques for changing the limits of integration, such as using a substitution or a change of variables. These techniques help to simplify the integral and make it easier to calculate with the new limits.

5. How does changing the limits of integration relate to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the integral of a function can be evaluated by finding its antiderivative and evaluating it at the boundaries of the integral. Changing the limits of integration is essentially changing the boundaries of the integral, which can affect the final value of the integral calculation.