What's something to self learn for ChemE/EE in 3 months

• Thread starter iwantcalculus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self
In summary, in 3 months, if you want to self-study Electrical Engineering/Chemical Engineering, I think reading The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill is a great way to get started.
iwantcalculus
So I'm interested in studying Electrical Engineering/ Chemical Engineering and I will soon have 3 months of free time before going to the university.

What could I self learn online that will give maximum help and boost for me if I want to go Chem E? What about EE?

I think the 3 months will be a great chance to make the tough ride for an engineering degree a little bit easier and I want to do all the work I can do during these months to support myself and propel myself a little bit to make the tough ride a little ( or alot? ) easier.

An inspiration that made me want to do this is the guy "Scott H Young" who did a "MIT Challenge" where he self studied the whole MIT computer science curriculum in 1 year... Maybe it's BS, but there's a chance he actually did that.

And if he could study the whole thing in 1 year, I can probably get some use out of 3 months of free time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
iwantcalculus said:
So I'm interested in studying Electrical Engineering/ Chemical Engineering and I will soon have 3 months of free time before going to the university.

What could I self learn online that will give maximum help and boost for me if I want to go Chem E? What about EE?

I think the 3 months will be a great chance to make the tough ride for an engineering degree a little bit easier and I want to do all the work I can do during these months to support myself and propel myself a little bit to make the tough ride a little ( or alot? ) easier.

An inspiration that made me want to do this is the guy "Scott H Young" who did a "MIT Challenge" where he self studied the whole MIT computer science curriculum in 1 year... Maybe it's BS, but there's a chance he actually did that.

And if he could study the whole thing in 1 year, I can probably get some use out of 3 months of free time.

I'm no help on the ChemE question, but for EE, one of the best things you could do is read this book from cover-to-cover: The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you can get a used copy for not too much money, I think you will get a lot out of it, and you can refer back to it in your intro EE classes at university as well. If you have access to a technical/school library, take a look at it in the library to see if it is about the right level for you.

It never hurts to learn a little programming.

berkeman said:
I'm no help on the ChemE question, but for EE, one of the best things you could do is read this book from cover-to-cover: The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you can get a used copy for not too much money, I think you will get a lot out of it, and you can refer back to it in your intro EE classes at university as well. If you have access to a technical/school library, take a look at it in the library to see if it is about the right level for you.

Ah yes, Horowitz and Hill. The book every physicist reads and then thinks they're an expert in electronics. :)

Truth be told, if you can only read one book in electronics, that's probably the best one. But beware, that book is a big-time hubris generator.

Related to What's something to self learn for ChemE/EE in 3 months

1. What are some resources for self-learning ChemE/EE in 3 months?

There are many resources available for self-learning ChemE/EE in 3 months. Some popular options include online courses, textbooks, and video tutorials. Additionally, many universities offer open courseware or free online lectures that can be helpful for self-study. It is also beneficial to join online communities or forums related to ChemE/EE to ask questions and receive support from others.

2. Can I teach myself ChemE/EE in 3 months without prior knowledge?

It is possible to teach yourself ChemE/EE in 3 months without prior knowledge, but it will require dedication and a strong work ethic. It is important to start with the basics and build a strong foundation before moving on to more advanced topics. Using a variety of resources and seeking help when needed can also aid in the learning process.

3. Is it realistic to expect to become proficient in ChemE/EE in just 3 months?

Becoming proficient in any field takes time and practice, so it may not be realistic to expect to become an expert in ChemE/EE in just 3 months. However, with a focused study plan and consistent effort, it is possible to gain a solid understanding of the fundamentals and develop the skills needed to continue learning and improving in the future.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-learning ChemE/EE in 3 months?

Staying motivated during self-study can be challenging, but setting specific goals and breaking them down into smaller, achievable tasks can help. It is also important to take breaks and reward yourself for progress made. Finding a study partner or joining a study group can also provide accountability and support.

5. Are there any specific topics I should focus on while self-learning ChemE/EE in 3 months?

The specific topics to focus on while self-learning ChemE/EE will depend on your goals and interests. However, some important areas to cover include chemical reactions, thermodynamics, electrical circuits, and signal processing. It is also beneficial to have a basic understanding of mathematics and physics as they are foundational subjects for ChemE/EE.