What's Next After AP Calculus BC?

In summary: But I can't, I have to use his theorems.In summary, a high school senior is interested in mathematics and is wondering what the best path is for them to continue learning after completing the AP Calculus test. They have been taught various concepts in AP Calculus BC and are currently using Khan Academy to learn Differential Equations. Suggestions are made to study linear algebra or multivariable calculus, and to potentially work through Spivak's Calculus for a deeper understanding of mathematics. The conversation also discusses the differences between computation-based and proof-based courses in linear algebra.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
I am a high school senior seriously interested in mathematics (and physics, and chemistry, but that's beside the point). I am wondering what would be the best path for me to learn involving mathematics now that the AP Calculus test is over (I don't want to have to wait until September to continue...). So, now that I've learned the material in AP Calculus BC, where do I go from here?

FWIW, AP Calculus BC taught me differentiation, including implicit, integration, the methods of which included intuition, parts, substitution, and partial fractions, infinite sequences and series including Taylor and Maclaurin series, and finally an introduction to vectors, parametrics, and polars. I'm also using Khan Academy to teach myself the basics of Differential Equations (It's not really that much harder than calculus was, really).

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the amount of calculus you've had in high school I'd say go for linear algebra.

Or you could look into Multivariable Calculus.

I took multivariable calculus and a computations based linear algebra class my first semester, and the highest math I had in high school was a similar BC Calculus course. I was a little less prepared than people who had taken Calc II in college, but I did fine.

Cyosis said:
Looking at the amount of calculus you've had in high school I'd say go for linear algebra.

Well, I began to look into this area (thank God for KhanAcademy), and I noticed immediately how much it relied on the matrices I had forgotten. So I'm brushing up on those now.

xxsteelxx said:
Or you could look into Multivariable Calculus.

Actually, this was the first thing I went to after Calculus, since it was in the same playlist. I think I got lost around the time he introduced curl. Those matrices again... Always the matrices...

jeffasinger said:
I took multivariable calculus and a computations based linear algebra class my first semester, and the highest math I had in high school was a similar BC Calculus course. I was a little less prepared than people who had taken Calc II in college, but I did fine.

Sounds good to know. I'm hoping to both not lose all of my skill at math over the summer, and be more ready than the other students next year.

What is different about a computation-based linear algebra course? Do they spend less time on proofs than normal?

Honestly, learn some Linear Algebra. A proof version of it. Then take Multivariable Calculus, preferably a rigorous treatment(with Differential Forms) and it'll make perfect sense. Alternatively, pick up Hubbard and Hubbard's Vector Calc book. It teaches you a little linear algebra, multivariable, and other random crap. It's a great book because it teaches advanced mathematics at a not-so-high level.

Spivak

thrill3rnit3 said:
Spivak

I have to agree with this, Spivak is what everyone should try to work through atleast once in their life. :smile:

I recently picked up Spivak, 4th ed. and am working through it. Just wondering: should I be doing every single problem? Because there are...a lot. Especially in the first section, it gets kind of tiresome :x

Are you getting them all right?

I'm actually reading through Spivak right now too and I think it'll be a great way to solidify what you learned in your more computational based AP Calculus class. I feel that if you can work through Spivak on your own and obtain a reasonable grasp of the material, when you do start mathematics in college, you will probably have a greater amount of insight than your peers who have not gone pass computational mathematics yet.

However, if you don't wish to do that, Linear Algebra that revolves around proofs, discrete math, or going onwards to multivariate calculus would probably be beneficial to you. If I were you, I would start to learn how to write proofs now so when you have to do it for a grade it won't be as stressful.

What is different about a computation-based linear algebra course? Do they spend less time on proofs than normal?
In my experience, a computational based linear Algebra class do cover some proofs, do ask some questions on it, but mostly ask you to use what the theorems state to help answer computational problem. While a more proof based linear algebra book will have very little exercises that ask you to take this Matrix and apply this theorem and then get a numerical answer, but rather will ask you, given this theorem, can you prove that if such and such is true then this and that is true. If I had my linear algebra book on me I would give you a more solid example, but it's lost somewhere, but I hope you can get the gist of what I am saying.

Last edited:
thrill3rnit3 said:
Are you getting them all right?

I'm not sure, since it's the first section and it's kind of hard to think solely in terms of the ~10 theorems he gives.

zooxanthellae said:
I'm not sure, since it's the first section and it's kind of hard to think solely in terms of the ~10 theorems he gives.

If you ever feel inclined, since I'm working through the same book, you can message me if you're not sure what you're doing is correct. I can't promise that I'm correct most or even half the time, but sometimes it helps to talk things out with another person to see if your line of thinking is correct.

I've started on Spivak's Calculus (assuming that's the book you meant) and I'm on the first chapter. And you're right, it's very difficult to restrict myself to his ten theorems. It's also difficult to prove things you know to be true, while restricted to those ten theorems. I keep wanting to say "if x^2=y^2, then of course x=y or x=-y! Everyone knows that!"

Related to What's Next After AP Calculus BC?

1. What other math courses should I take after AP Calculus BC?

After completing AP Calculus BC, you may consider taking courses such as Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, or Statistics. These courses build upon the foundation of calculus and are commonly required for majors in math, engineering, and science.

2. Is it necessary to take more advanced math courses after AP Calculus BC?

It depends on your academic and career goals. If you plan on pursuing a major or career that requires a strong understanding of advanced math concepts, then taking more math courses after AP Calculus BC would be beneficial. However, if you do not plan on using these concepts in the future, it may not be necessary.

3. How will taking more advanced math courses benefit me?

Taking more advanced math courses can provide you with a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and help improve your problem-solving skills. It can also make you more competitive in college admissions and open up opportunities for higher-level courses and career paths in math and science fields.

4. Are there any other subjects I should focus on after AP Calculus BC?

While math is an important subject, it is also crucial to have a well-rounded education. It is recommended to focus on other subjects such as physics, chemistry, or computer science to complement your math skills and prepare for a variety of career paths.

5. How can I continue to improve my math skills after AP Calculus BC?

There are various ways to continue improving your math skills, such as practicing through textbooks and online resources, taking online courses, or joining a math club or competition. It is also helpful to apply your math skills in real-life situations, such as through internships or research projects.