What's happening to my spinning rugby ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the curious phenomenon of a rugby ball or any other prolate ellipsoid rising up onto its end when given a good spin. This is due to the stability of the ball's motion, as explained by the concept of principal axes and moment of inertia. The ball must have enough initial kinetic energy to overcome gravity and stand up, and if spun too slowly, it will not exhibit this stable motion.
JPComben
Hello everyone, this is my first post here so I hope I don't commit any physicsforums faux pas in this!

I have a curiousity. If you take a rugby ball or any other prolate ellipsoid and give it a good spin, it will rise up onto it's end. I wonder if any of you guys could clear up exactly why this happens!? I have sketchy notions that the ball seeks to take up a position where the concentration of its mass is the lowest possible distance away from the axis of its rotation but as to why this might be I can only think it's because it's more efficient in some way.

Very hazy anyway, so if anyone can enlighten me I would be very happy indeed. TIA.

James

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic reason is stability.

In general a 3-dimensional body has three unique "principal axes" passing through its center of mass. Two of these are the directions about which the moment of inertia is the maximum and minimum for the body. The third one is at right angles to those two.

In this general case it can be shown that if the body spins about the either the maximium or the minimum inertia directions, the motion is stable. If it is perturbed slightly it will "wobble" (precess) about the original direction, but it won't deviate further from its original motion.

However if it is spinning about the intermediate principal axis, the motion is unstable and any small pertubation will continue to grow.

See http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/Newton/node71.html for the math.

If two of the principal axes have the same moment of inertia, the only stable rotation is about the thrid axis. For the rugby ball, this is along the length of the ball and it has the minimum possible inertia.

To get the ball the "stand up" as you describe, you have to give it enough initial kinetic energy to do the work required against gravity to raise the center of mass. If you don't spin it fast enough, it may wobble around apparently chaotically, but it doesn't have enough energy to get into a stable motion.

If you spin it slowly, if may appear to be spinning stably, but of course its contact with the ground is stopping it moving as it would in a zero-gravity environment.

Fantastic. Thank you so much for your help :approve:

Related to What's happening to my spinning rugby ball

What causes a spinning rugby ball to curve?

The Magnus effect is the main reason a spinning rugby ball curves. This effect is caused by differences in air pressure on opposite sides of the ball due to its spin, resulting in a curved flight path.

Why do rugby players spin the ball when throwing it?

Spinning the ball gives it more stability and allows players to control its trajectory and direction. It also helps to create the Magnus effect, which can make the ball more difficult for the opposing team to catch or kick.

How does the surface of a rugby ball affect its spin?

The surface of a rugby ball can greatly affect its spin. A smooth surface will allow the ball to spin more easily, while a rough surface can cause the ball to wobble or change direction. This is why players often rub dirt or water on the ball to change its surface and enhance its spin.

Can the spin of a rugby ball be affected by wind?

Yes, wind can have a significant impact on the spin of a rugby ball. Strong winds can alter the trajectory and speed of the ball, making it more difficult to control. Players must take wind conditions into account when throwing or kicking the ball.

How does the direction of spin affect the flight of a rugby ball?

The direction of spin can greatly influence the flight of a rugby ball. A ball spinning in a clockwise direction will curve to the right, while a ball spinning counterclockwise will curve to the left. This is due to the Magnus effect, which causes the ball to move in the direction opposite its spin.