What's Coming in Physics Forums 4.0?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, some exciting changes are on the horizon for Physics Forums! This notice is intended to give you a heads up on what to expect in the coming weeks. Plans have now been laid for the coming of Physics Forums 4.0, which will be the biggest improvement to Physics Forums in 12 years. The migration to Xenforo will be done on September 19th, and there will be lots of broken functionality in the beginning. Please be patient and let us know if you have any questions.
Important!

It should be noted that you'll have to login after migrate. If you have forgotten your password please change it now. Also make sure your email that you have entered in your account is active.

Physics news on Phys.org
A timely reminder. Changed it and wrote it down. Where did I put that piece of paper ...

ehild said:
I have to know my old password to change it, and the old one is not accepted:cry:

ehild
Uh oh, ask Greg or Borek to change it. It's a good thing you brought this up! I can't imagine how many people are in the same situation!

ehild, you may have prevented a disaster!

Evo said:
Uh oh, ask Greg or Borek to change it. It's a good thing you brought this up! I can't imagine how many people are in the same situation!

ehild, you may have prevented a disaster!

Thanks, it is solved at last by the offered help and getting a new password through email which was not accepted first as it had a 0 which I read as O, then I tried to edit the password without success several times, but I am here now and I hope, I do not lose and forget the new password and will be able to login to the brand new word of PF :frown:

ehild

ehild said:
Thanks, it is solved at last by the offered help and getting a new password through email which was not accepted first as it had a 0 which I read as O, then I tried to edit the password without success several times, but I am here now and I hope, I do not lose and forget the new password and will be able to login to the brand new word of PF :frown:

ehild
Wonderful! Hope to see you Saturday!

I hope all goes well. Good luck!

ehild

Final reminder to backup PMs and make sure your email is working if you forget your password.

I will be starting a little earlier at 7pm. It's Friday, go out to dinner and get some pints with old friends.

greg bernhardt said:
i will be starting a little earlier at 7pm. It's friday, go out to dinner and get some pints with old friends.

7pm CDT?

6 hours 15 minutes from now.

That makes it 2 a.m. for me. I rarely drink that late (not that it doesn't happen ;) ).

Borek said:
6 hours 15 minutes from now.

That makes it 2 a.m. for me. I rarely drink that late (not that it doesn't happen ;) ).
You're lucky, that's prime time for me and nothing on tv.

Evo said:
You're lucky, that's prime time for me and nothing on tv.

Pizza and a movie!

"The Roosevelts" continues tonight on PBS. Great stuff.

Ad break. We are watching "Red" now. Reasonably funny.

I hope it goes well.

It seems cool and pretty. Thanks Greg and other PF staff.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Looks amazing. PF feels a little different(Maybe because the green colour was missing ;)). Anyway, thanks for the change Greg.

Looks amazing!

Looking good, although I find it a pity that the layout takes up most of the space. I can only see two posts at a time, both with a single-sentence message (see screenshot). I know Greg edited the previous layout to make it more compact, so hopefully it can be improved again. Some questions I cannot figure out:

How do I recognize threads with new posts?
What does it mean when a thread is highlighted blue? (apparently it's not for new posts)
What are the black dots in front of the threads? (apparently it's not for new posts)
(see screenshot).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 14.51.59.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 14.51.59.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 418
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 14.48.46.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 14.48.46.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 415
Monique said:
What does it mean when a thread is highlighted blue? (apparently it's not for new posts)

Light blue is when a thread has 0 replies.

Monique said:
Looking good, although I find it a pity that the layout takes up most of the space. I can only see two posts at a time, both with a single-sentence message (see screenshot). I know Greg edited the previous layout to make it more compact, so hopefully it can be improved again. Some questions I cannot figure out:

What are the black dots in front of the threads? (apparently it's not for new posts)
(see screenshot).
I think the bold name of the thread, and the black dot both mean that the thread has new posts. But since the forum doesn't know that you've read all the old posts, you need to go to "forums>mark forums read" at the top. Then you should see the difference.

Monique said:

The black dots and the bold title text look like they signify 'new posts'. Better: When I hover my mouse over the black dot or bold text, a context popup tells me I can click there to go to the next unread post. I like that!

New posts meaning "posts never read before", not "posts new since previous visit"? The dots don't update between visits.

Looks great!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Every time I visit PF, it keeps getting better. Greg ... You ARE The Man.

Likes cristo and Greg Bernhardt
Hi Greg, this is a great step forward, it's really a reason to thank you even more for making this socialization possible.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks for the support guys! Keep the suggestions, bugs and problems coming in the other forum so we can refine this baby to perfection! :)

Greg, when are we getting the IRC channel shoutbox?

An IRC channel would be nicer :(

Great idea: If PF had an IRC channel (you could still make it public or private whenever you want, if you only want to open it at specific times, as to not draw too much attention out of the forum), you could give admin to mentors/admins and voice to paying members (gold). Nobel price for me please.

DataGG said:
Greg, when are we getting the IRC channel shoutbox?

An IRC channel would be nicer :(
In a few days. I just want to make sure the server is stabilized and performance is generally good because the chat is fairly intensive.

Yesterday I had a conversation with someone. I really like the conversations system. Same goes for the alerts system. I can't imagine a way it can be better!
Anyway, is it possible to let users choose their favourite styles?
The current style is perfect, but I'm better with dark styles and the current style is too bright for me!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Shyan said:
The current style is perfect, but I'm better with dark styles and the current style is too bright for me!

I would also like this, but according to Borek (he linked in the previous post), it's unlikely to happen.

Something I'd also like (not sure if possible) is to have different colors for the "replied", "tagged you", "quoted you", in the alert system.. It would be easier to know which is which with different coloring.

@Greg Bernhardt:

DataGG said:
Something I'd also like (not sure if possible) is to have different colors for the "replied", "tagged you", "quoted you", in the alert system.. It would be easier to know which is which with different coloring.

Good idea, I wonder if it is possible to implement.

Is it possible to sticky somewhere the new features of PF 4.0 ? It is a good idea to make the new features visible in my opinion.