What's a good introduction to Quantum Field Theory for postgraduate research?

• Thread starter alfredblase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intro
In summary, The person is looking for a good introduction to Quantum Field Theory for postgraduate research and has a background in Quantum Mechanics. They have read Griffith's "An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" and are comfortable with particle physics and Feynman diagrams. They are seeking recommendations for QFT books, with suggestions including Aitchison and Hey, Peskin and Schroeder, and Brian Hatfield's books. They also mention waiting to receive copies of Maggiore and Greiner's books on QFT. They have also briefly mentioned Zee's book as an interesting introduction.
alfredblase
Hi,

I'm looking for a good introduction to Quantum Field Theory. I will be using what I learn from the book in postgraduate research and need to learn both the maths and concepts of QFT. As for my background in QM you can assume I have read Griffith's "An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics".

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
alfredblase said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a good introduction to Quantum Field Theory. I will be using what I learn from the book in postgraduate research and need to learn both the maths and concepts of QFT. As for my background in QM you can assume I have read Griffith's "An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics".

Thank you.

The meaning of "postgraduate" changes somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. When people on the east side say "postgraduate", people on the west side should read "graduate".

You might find https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=123807" to be informative. It starts with a discussion of the prerequisites for quantum field theory, but ends up being mainly about QFT books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that link. It seems recommending a book on QFT is not easy. Perhaps if it would be easier to make a recommendation if I say that I only need to learn QED?

Thanks.

alfredblase said:
Thank you for that link. It seems recommending a book on QFT is not easy. Perhaps if it would be easier to make a recommendation if I say that I only need to learn QED?

Thanks.
Maybe you could give us a better idea of your background. I am assuming that you are at ease with quantum mechanics. Have you done a bit of particle physics? Are you familiar with Feynman diagrams (not the proof of where the rules come from, but maybe how to write the expressions for let's say QED diagrmas?).

As you probably saw in that thread, I have never found any QFT book that I found satisfying. But it's because I have always found that the way books *motivate* the very starting point of quantum field theory (i.e. the quantization of classical fields) is, imho, completely unsatisfying. But, if you are willing to accept a few leaps of faith then you will have passed the hurdle that bothers me personally, and then I would say that there are a few good books around.

If you want my personal opinion, I would recommend the following (I will not type all the information, if you don't know what book I am talking about give me a shout):

As a gentle introduction to particle physics and Feynamn diagrams, I still think that Griffiths' book is the best (I wish he would write a QFT book!).

Then I would highly recommend Aitchison and Hey.

Then I would suggest to use Peskin and Schroeder and Brian Hatfield's book.

As I have mentioned in this other thread George gave the link to, I am waiting to receive my copies of Maggiore and Greiner (on Field Quantization. Greiner has also a book on QED specifically. I have his books on QCD, the weak interaction and nuclear models and they are excellent!).
But George likes Maggiore and it is a book written for undergraduates (if I recall correctly) so that might be an excellent starting point (I will post my critique as soon as I receive it)

Hope this helps

Patrick

I happened to see the first few chapters of Zee (I am doing QM myself, so I don't have much idea of QFT...) and I found it very interesting. As one of my friends described it, "its an interesting strange introduction"

Related to What's a good introduction to Quantum Field Theory for postgraduate research?

What is QTF?

QTF stands for Quantum Technology Foundation. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting and advancing quantum technology research and education.

Why is it important to learn about QTF?

Quantum technology is a rapidly growing field with potential applications in various industries such as computing, communication, and security. Learning about QTF can provide insights into the latest developments and opportunities in this field.

What is the best way to get started with QTF?

The best way to get started with QTF is to familiarize yourself with the basic principles of quantum mechanics and quantum computing. There are also many online resources, courses, and workshops available to help you learn more about QTF.

What are some potential career options in QTF?

Some potential career options in QTF include quantum research scientists, quantum engineers, quantum software developers, and quantum analysts. These professionals work in various industries such as technology, finance, and research.

How can I get involved with QTF?

You can get involved with QTF by attending events, workshops, and conferences related to quantum technology. You can also volunteer or join QTF as a member to support their initiatives and contribute to the advancement of quantum technology.