What would I see if there was a porthole in LHC's detectors?

In summary, the speaker explains that if there was a porthole in one of the LHC's detectors, one could possibly see the glow of synchrotron radiation, but it would not be blinding due to being spread over a large area. They also mention that there have been accounts of people seeing X-rays due to ionizing their retina, but this is not recommended due to the high levels of radiation present. The speaker also explains that the detectors are in open air and it is possible to stand near the collisions, but it is not recommended due to the high levels of radiation. They mention that the beam could easily burn a hole in anything in its path, but safety measures are in place to prevent this.
fbs7
Question out of sheer curiosity: if there was a porthole in one of the LHC's detectors... would I see something? Like ghostly little sparks appearing out of nowhere, or would I be blinded by intense brightness?

Also, I know the collision chambers are in vaccum, but say I went in there with a spacesuit (with no magnetic materials, as I know there's an intense magnetic field in there) ... would I be fried by radiation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could see the glow of synchrotron radiation. It will not blindingly because, while significant overall, it is spread over the huge tunnel. Regarding seeing the "flashes" of collisions, I have read a few accounts that back when radiation was not taken seriously, some people would see X-rays (apparently because they ionized their retina); I cannot rule this out.

Thank you.

You do not need portholes. The detectors are in air, without any case around them. For example, see http://www.phy.cam.ac.uk/research/hep/heppictures/LHCb_3.jpg of LHCb. It was made in 2006, but it still looks like this. You could even stand there while particles collide (assuming you can somehow trick the safety system), but it would be unhealthy due to the radiation. I would expect that you do not see anything just by standing there, or just some rare events of high-energetic particles passing your eyes. Close to the beam (in the beam pipe in vacuum), things are different, with really high radiation levels, synchrotron radiation and so on. The beam could easily burn a hole in anything in its path, but as soon as something moves in the beams are dumped within less than a millisecond.

Last edited by a moderator:

If there was a porthole in one of the LHC's detectors, you would likely not see anything visually striking. The collisions that occur in the LHC are on a microscopic scale and would not produce visible sparks or intense brightness. Instead, the data collected by the detectors would be displayed on screens or analyzed by scientists.

As for your question about entering the collision chambers with a spacesuit, it is highly unlikely that this would be allowed or possible. The LHC operates at incredibly high energies and produces intense radiation levels, which would be harmful to any living organism. Even with a spacesuit, the radiation would likely cause severe damage. Additionally, the strong magnetic fields in the LHC would interfere with the functioning of the spacesuit and could potentially be dangerous. Therefore, it is not recommended to enter the LHC collision chambers under any circumstances.

Related to What would I see if there was a porthole in LHC's detectors?

1. What is a porthole in LHC's detectors?

A porthole in LHC's detectors refers to a hypothetical opening or window that would allow someone to see inside the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) during operation.

2. Could a porthole be created in LHC's detectors?

No, it is not possible to create a porthole in LHC's detectors. The LHC operates in a vacuum and is sealed to prevent any outside interference or contaminants. Creating a porthole would compromise the integrity of the experiment and could potentially cause dangerous situations.

3. What would I see if there was a porthole in LHC's detectors?

If a porthole were to exist in LHC's detectors, you would see a complex system of magnets, detectors, and other equipment used to accelerate and collide particles. However, due to the high energy levels and tiny size of particles involved, it is unlikely that any visible light would be emitted, making it difficult to see much with the naked eye.

4. Would it be possible to see particles colliding through a porthole?

No, it would not be possible to see particles colliding through a porthole. The particles in the LHC are accelerated to near the speed of light and are too small to be seen with the naked eye, even if a porthole were to exist. Scientists use highly sensitive detectors and advanced technology to measure and analyze the collisions.

5. Are there any plans to create a porthole in LHC's detectors in the future?

No, there are no plans to create a porthole in LHC's detectors in the future. The LHC is a highly controlled and precise scientific instrument, and any modifications to it could potentially compromise its operations and results. Scientists rely on data collected from the detectors to make groundbreaking discoveries about the fundamental nature of our universe.