What would happen if I were 1 ly from a black hole merger?

In summary, the article discusses the recent discovery of a black hole merger that was detected by LIGO. The article states that the deflection of the arms over 4km was 1×10^-18 meters for an event 3 billion light years (ly) away. If I assume that gravitational waves follow the inverse square law, then at 1 ly the deflection would be 9 meters over the same 4km. More importantly to me, it would be about 4mm over my 1.8 meter height. I would think that would be highly unpleasant! However, at 0.1 ly the effect would be 100 times greater so I would stretch 0.4 meters. Not going to survive that!
Pete Muller
I was reading about the latest black hole merger discovered by LIGO.

https://www.ligo.caltech.edu/news/ligo20170601

The article states that the deflection of the arms over 4km was 1×10^-18 meters for an event 3 billion light years (ly) away. If I assume that gravitational waves follow the inverse square law, then at 1 ly the deflection would be 9 meters over the same 4km. More importantly to me, it would be about 4mm over my 1.8 meter height. I would think that would be highly unpleasant!

Worse, at 0.1 ly the effect would be 100 times greater so I would stretch 0.4 meters. Not going to survive that!

So, is my math correct?

Likes Dr Wu
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's an interesting question. If I understand things correctly, this "compression" and "expansion" are opposed by the molecular bonds making up your body, explaining why the LIGO experiments often talk about the strain of their detectors. Alas I'm not actually sure what would happen. Perhaps curling up into a ball would help?

How much is eardrum deflected by 1 db sound?

snorkack said:
How much is eardrum deflected by 1 db sound?

If space time is distorted would the pitch oscillate? For instance "middle a" tone would shift to A sharp and A flat/G sharp? The change might be too fast to register in the brain.

Drakkith said:
That's an interesting question. If I understand things correctly, this "compression" and "expansion" are opposed by the molecular bonds making up your body, explaining why the LIGO experiments often talk about the strain of their detectors. Alas I'm not actually sure what would happen. Perhaps curling up into a ball would help?

Temperature is based on vibrations in molecular bonds. I would expect a distortion oscillation of space could alter the effective temperature. I am not sure that hot cold and back to normal at light speed would change anything. Just speculation but maybe something that was super cooled and ready to freeze or super heated and ready to boil might make the phase transition. Might also effect the activation energy for some chemical reactions. The probability of tunneling events?

Will it be isotropic ? Or concentrated in the merger plane ??
Be nasty if there's a planar jolt plus a polar outburst...

My post was wrong. If time and space oscillate the both the hairs in the cochlea and the sound wave will oscillate. The hair(s) that registers the note "A" will still resonate in all parts of the gravity wave. Would not hear anything odd.

Pete Muller said:
If I assume that gravitational waves follow the inverse square law,
I seem to recall that the deflection follows a 1/r relationship, not the 1/r2.

Oh -you have already noted that in #3

I extrapolated to 1 million km and got 28 mm for LIGO and about 13 micrometers for me. Clearly I am pushing the math here not to mention ignoring General Relativity. But still, the amazing thing is that 2 solar masses were converted to gravitational energy and the effect is so small. Gravity truly is weak!

Related to What would happen if I were 1 ly from a black hole merger?

1. What is a black hole merger?

A black hole merger occurs when two black holes, which are extremely dense objects with gravitational pull so strong that even light cannot escape, come together and combine into one larger black hole.

2. How close is 1 ly to a black hole merger?

1 ly, or 1 light year, is a unit of distance that is equal to about 9.46 trillion kilometers. This is a relatively close distance to a black hole merger, as the merging black holes would have a strong gravitational pull that could affect objects within this distance.

3. What would happen if I were 1 ly from a black hole merger?

If you were 1 ly from a black hole merger, you would likely experience extreme gravitational forces that could potentially tear you apart. The intense gravitational pull from the merging black holes would also distort space and time around you, causing significant changes in the environment.

4. Would I be able to see the black hole merger from 1 ly away?

Yes, you would be able to see the black hole merger from 1 ly away. However, the light from the merging black holes would be heavily distorted due to the strong gravitational pull, making it difficult to accurately observe and analyze.

5. Is it dangerous to be 1 ly from a black hole merger?

Yes, it is very dangerous to be 1 ly from a black hole merger. The extreme gravitational forces and distortions in space and time could have catastrophic effects on any object or living being in close proximity. It is best to observe from a safe distance.