What would be a good degree to accompany a Physics Major?

In summary, the conversation discussed options for a second major or minor to accompany a major in physics. Suggestions were made for chemistry or computer science, with the reminder that the most successful people often have a background in humanities. Ultimately, the decision should be based on one's interests and goals, whether that be grad school or a career in a related field. It was also advised to consider courses that will benefit rather than just a title.
KonaGorrila
Aloha,
I am majoring in physics but have finished all my requirements outside of the physics field. So I am stuff taking only physics and math and want to become full time.

Does anyone have suggestions on what would be a good second major/minor to accompany physics?

I am thinking chemistry because I am aware that a math minor is only a few classes on top of my physics pathway.

Physics news on Phys.org
People have been successful with just about every combination out there. You will be most successful in a subject you enjoy. If that is chemistry then god speed! Also remember some of the most successful people have a background in humanities. Don't forget them.

KonaGorrila said:
Aloha,
I am majoring in physics but have finished all my requirements outside of the physics field. So I am stuff taking only physics and math and want to become full time.

Does anyone have suggestions on what would be a good second major/minor to accompany physics?

I am thinking chemistry because I am aware that a math minor is only a few classes on top of my physics pathway.

First of all, a second major/minor might not be as beneficial as you think. Think about it well. What do you want to reach in the end? Grad school? Then maybe instead of focusing on a major/minor, you might be thinking about what could be more beneficial for grad school. That might be courses in mathematics or physics (or something else). Focus on the courses that will benefit you or that you enjoy instead of the title you'll get.

I'd recommend taking a few intro programming classes. If there's an option for a minor in Computer Science, its something to look into. Be careful though. Usually these classes take a good chunk of time because of projects. If you're looking for something to accompany a physics degree, computer science/programming classes are hard to beat.

Edit: This is coming from a soon to be graduate student in physics who wishes he took more programming classes.

I second Computer Science. I know one person on here went on to graduate school in CS as a backup plan with a minor in CS and a few others who've graduated with a BS in physics and moved on to developing software with the minor. It's a strong backup plan, and even if you decide to stay in physics the knowledge of CS will come in handy.

Related to What would be a good degree to accompany a Physics Major?

1. What are the most common degrees that are paired with a Physics major?

Some of the most common degrees that are paired with a Physics major include Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Astronomy, and Chemistry.

2. Why is it beneficial to have a double major with Physics?

Having a double major with Physics allows for a deeper understanding and application of concepts, as well as a wider range of job opportunities in various industries.

3. Can I pursue a career in a different field with a Physics degree?

Yes, a Physics degree can open doors to various careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, and even medicine.

4. Is it necessary to have a double major with Physics to pursue a career in research?

No, it is not necessary to have a double major in order to pursue a career in research. Many physicists specialize in a specific subfield of physics during graduate studies.

5. Are there any degrees that complement a Physics major but are not commonly paired together?

Yes, there are several degrees that may complement a Physics major but are not commonly paired together, such as Philosophy, Economics, or Linguistics.