What Word Is Muffled at 1:42 in the Speech Video?

• Thread starter impo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, during a conversation about biology and symptoms, a word is mentioned at minute 1:42 that is difficult to understand. The word is believed to be "disease" based on captions, but the pronunciation is questioned. It is noted that the speaker may have tripped on the word while saying it.
impo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8SDKV29NPaEAt minute 1:42, he says: ...depending on their xxxx biology, not the particular symptoms that they have

Could you tell me what is xxxx ? (I can't figure out the word he says). Thank you. (I guess it is "disease" but...)

Physics news on Phys.org
I could tell you what the word is, but instead I suggest you learn how to turn captions on :-p

Captions say "disease", but if he said "disease", that's the strangest way I've ever heard that word pronounced. I really don't think that's the word.

leroyjenkens said:
Captions say "disease", but if he said "disease", that's the strangest way I've ever heard that word pronounced. I really don't think that's the word.
It's "disease", he tripped on the word when he said it.

Evo said:
It's "disease", he tripped on the word when he said it.

I hope he didn't hurt himself. Last time I tripped on a word I flailed around and knocked over an English professor and two graduate students.

Related to What Word Is Muffled at 1:42 in the Speech Video?

1. What should I do if I can't figure out a word in someone's speech?

First, try to listen carefully and pay attention to the context of the speech. This can help you make an educated guess about the word's meaning. If that doesn't work, you can ask the speaker to clarify or use a dictionary or online resource to look up the word.

2. How can I improve my vocabulary to better understand speeches?

One way to improve your vocabulary is to read and listen to a variety of materials, including books, articles, and speeches. Make note of new words and their meanings, and try to use them in your own writing and conversations. You can also use flashcards or vocabulary-building apps to help expand your word knowledge.

3. Is it okay to ask the speaker to repeat a word I didn't understand?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask the speaker to repeat a word or phrase that you didn't understand. Most speakers will be happy to clarify and ensure that their message is being effectively communicated to their audience.

4. How can I figure out the meaning of a word without interrupting the speaker?

If you don't want to interrupt the speaker, you can make a note of the word and look it up later. You can also try using context clues, such as the surrounding words and the tone of the speech, to get an idea of the word's meaning. However, if you are still unsure, it is best to ask the speaker for clarification.

5. What are some strategies for understanding difficult words in a speech?

One strategy is to break down the word into its root and prefix/suffix, if applicable. This can give you a clue about its meaning. Another strategy is to look for similar words that you already know and try to make connections. Additionally, asking for clarification or using a dictionary can also be helpful in understanding difficult words in a speech.