What will be your choice -- career question?

In summary: Recently I met a business man in the conference and we talked about a lot of things. He told me about the business world and promised to help me using his contacts. Days later, he called me and gave me four options1. He told me knowledge is better choice, so pursue masters and thereby PHD program. Then people will respect you and seek your advise (University already offered me full scholarship masters program). But I am not a research type person and tried voluntary research after graduation, didn't really enjoy it. So I like to work and more result oriented type.2. He is installing a printing press in a different province and requires someone to run the whole business. Profit sharing will be there with zero investment
Neeman
Let me introduce myself. I am a new graduate in mechanical engineering, with almost 2 years of co-op experience. I have been applying jobs for 2 months and had couple of phone interviews and one regular interview. To be honest, Canadian job market is not doing well for the new graduates and there are too many applicants with experience. Many of my friends are in the unemployed condition. I have a fairly good GPA(8.2/10) too.

Recently I met a business man in the conference and we talked about a lot of things. He told me about the business world and promised to help me using his contacts. Days later, he called me and gave me four options

1. He told me knowledge is better choice, so pursue masters and thereby PHD program. Then people will respect you and seek your advise (University already offered me full scholarship masters program). But I am not a research type person and tried voluntary research after graduation, didn't really enjoy it. So I like to work and more result oriented type.

2. He is installing a printing press in a different province and requires someone to run the whole business. Profit sharing will be there with zero investment from my side.( My investment is my time and effort)

3. He have engineering contacts, from there I can start volunteering in engineering firm and get employed after couple of months.

4. He have plans to purchase a resort, and want me to run it as resort manager. An equal share of resort worth $200,000 will be given and some salary for survival. Profit will be shared equally between 3 shareholders including me. I can live in the resort for free. ( My investment is again my time and effort)

5. Keep looking for engineering job and hopefully get something.(this is my extra option)

Personally, I like option 4 even though it is a lot of work. As for my interests, I enjoy business and management very much.

But I am worried that if I am risking my career here. If in scenario, I did not like resort management much after 1-2 years, I do not know if companies will take me due to lack of experience.

Can you guys provide some input in this matter? Any suggestions will be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep looking for engineering work. Think about possible career changes later, since you have recent experience and just earned your degree.

It seems like there's more to this story. I hope that's just because you're trying to keep it short and not because you don't know that extra parts. Unless I'm missing something, you met a guy at a conference and he's willing to give you half of a $200k, resort just to go work for him? That's quite a signing bonus for someone right out of school... so to me it sounds like a serious red flag. If you do pursue this, make sure you get things in writing.

Printing press? You know I did hear a story on the CBC the other day about how local, physical papers are doing well because there's demand for local news that often isn't available online. But I'd still think hard about getting involved in a business like that. Not that I know anything about the industry, but I'm pretty sure print has been dying a slow and agonizing death for a long time now.

If you know you don't like research, a PhD is not for you. You could consider a professional master's degree if that's going to build up a skill set for a certain area that you have a strong interest in. I wouldn't pursue graduate studies just for more "respect" though.

This person might be able to give you a few connections. If he can, great. Pursue those. But I'd be wary of deals that sound too good to be true.

Neeman said:
Let me introduce myself. I am a new graduate in mechanical engineering, with almost 2 years of co-op experience. I have been applying jobs for 2 months and had couple of phone interviews and one regular interview. To be honest, Canadian job market is not doing well for the new graduates and there are too many applicants with experience. Many of my friends are in the unemployed condition. I have a fairly good GPA(8.2/10) too.

In what parts of Canada have you looked for a job? Coast-to-coast?

There's a saying: Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions.

It looks like this "businessman" is trying to give you a lot of experience.

Likes Logical Dog
Sounds too good to be true.

Related to What will be your choice -- career question?

What are some common career choices for scientists?

Some common career choices for scientists include research positions in universities, government labs, or private companies, teaching positions at universities or schools, and roles in science communication or policy.

How do I choose a specific field of science to pursue?

Choosing a specific field of science to pursue will depend on your interests, skills, and career goals. It can be helpful to explore different fields through internships, research experiences, and informational interviews to help you make a decision.

What skills are important for a successful career in science?

Some important skills for a successful career in science include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, communication, and teamwork. It is also important to have a strong foundation in your specific field of science.

What education is required for a career in science?

Most careers in science require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, and many positions may require a master's or doctoral degree. It is important to research the specific education requirements for your desired career path.

What is the job outlook for careers in science?

The job outlook for careers in science varies depending on the specific field and industry. Overall, the demand for scientists is expected to grow in the coming years due to advancements in technology and a growing focus on research and innovation.