What will be the final temperature of the system?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics question regarding the final temperature of a system involving hot iron and ice, and the initial temperatures of the two materials. The specific heat of iron and the masses of the hot iron and melted ice are also mentioned. The person asking for help is advised to show their work and consider equations related to thermodynamics and heat capacity. It is also pointed out that there may be a discrepancy in the number of iron pieces mentioned in the problem.
diogenes
I have this physics question i need help with.

An M gram chunk of hot iron is placed on a large piece of 0 degrees celsius ice, causing m grams of ice to melt.
a. What will be the final temperature of the system?
b. What must have been the initial temperature of the cold iron?
c. What must have been the initial temperature of the hot iron?
d.Calculate part c based on the following information M= 250g, m= 48g and the specific heat of iron = 0.44J / g degrees celsius

If someone has the answer thatd be great
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You must show some work to get help, we don't give out answers! What are your thoughts about it? What equations do you think you need?

need help actually

mc delta t (thermodynamics type)is all I've got and I don't know what to do with the two masses. I've been at it for a week and need a solution for friday morning.

I see only one piece of iron mentioned in the problem statement but two in the questions.

You need to find out about heat capacity, and the amount of heat required to melt ice.

Related to What will be the final temperature of the system?

What will be the final temperature of the system?

The final temperature of a system can vary based on many factors, such as the initial temperature, the materials involved, and the amount of energy added or removed. Therefore, it is not possible to determine the final temperature without more information.

How can I calculate the final temperature of the system?

To calculate the final temperature of a system, you will need to know the specific heat capacity of the materials involved, the initial temperatures, and the amount of energy exchanged. This can be done using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the energy exchanged, m is the mass of the material, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the significance of the final temperature in a system?

The final temperature of a system is important because it can indicate if a reaction or process has occurred. For example, if the final temperature is higher than the initial temperature, it could indicate that energy has been added to the system, potentially causing a reaction or change in state.

Can the final temperature of a system be predicted?

The final temperature of a system can be estimated using calculations and known factors, but it cannot be predicted with complete accuracy. There are often unpredictable variables that can affect the final temperature, such as external factors like air temperature or human error.

How does the final temperature relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The final temperature of a system is influenced by the laws of thermodynamics, particularly the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Therefore, the final temperature will be affected by the energy exchanged within the system and its surroundings.