What will be the equilibrium state in the liquid N2 chamber?

In summary: That is also the way I see it.You are assuming a perfectly insulated chamber but in reality there will be some heat flow across the insulation so the increase in chamber temperature and pressure will be time dependent. Commercial dewar flasks for cryogenic storage and transport of liquid gases are always equipped with pressure relief valves to deal with this issue.
Ravi Singh choudhary
Suppose there is a test chamber containing liquid nitrogen. The container is insulated and only a small opening is there so that chamber is exposed to atmospheric condition. As the saturation temperature of liquid nitrogen is -196 degree Celsius at 1 atm pressure. chamber will remain at -196 till depletion of liquid nitrogen. Now my question is; somehow that opening to the chamber is closed. What will happen to the temperature and pressure of the chamber?

I can answer the question if the chamber is not insulated. The chamber will attain the room temperature. But I cannot guess about phenomenon occurring inside. What will be the phase and so on?

So please explain in both the cases; insulated and non insulated chamber when chamber is closed after being exposed to atmosphere.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ravi Singh choudhary said:
As the saturation temperature of liquid nitrogen is -196 degree Celsius at 1 atm pressure. chamber will remain at -196 till depletion of liquid nitrogen
Hello Ravi.
Would you please explain how you came to that conclusion.
Bear in mind the chamber is insulated, with which I presume you mean no heat flow is occurring into the chamber from the surroundings.
And that the hole is a very tiny pinhole.

256bits said:
Hello Ravi.
Would you please explain how you came to that conclusion.
Bear in mind the chamber is insulated, with which I presume you mean no heat flow is occurring into the chamber from the surroundings.
And that the hole is a very tiny pinhole.

Suppose I was given a liquified nitrogen but it is exposed in the atmosphere so it will absorb latent heat of energy to change its phase. During that process temperature will remain same at the saturation pressure. From the table saturation temperature of liquid nitrogen is -196 C at 1 atm pressure.

Suppose I was given a liquified nitrogen but it is exposed in the atmosphere so it will absorb latent heat of energy to change its phase. During that process temperature will remain same at the saturation pressure. From the table saturation temperature of liquid nitrogen is -196 C at 1 atm pressure.
For an un-insulated chamber . But what about the insulated chamber?

256bits said:
For an un-insulated chamber . But what about the insulated chamber?
For insulated chamber there is no source of thermal energy coming to the chamber. As we close the chamber the pressure will remain same as atmospheric(same amount of matter is there). System will be behave as isolated system; nothing will happen macroscopically I think.

For insulated chamber there is no source of thermal energy coming to the chamber. As we close the chamber the pressure will remain same as atmospheric(same amount of matter is there). System will be behave as isolated system; nothing will happen macroscopically I think.
That is also the way I see it.

You are assuming a perfectly insulated chamber but in reality there will be some heat flow across the insulation so the increase in chamber temperature and pressure will be time dependent. Commercial dewar flasks for cryogenic storage and transport of liquid gases are always equipped with pressure relief valves to deal with this issue.

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary

Related to What will be the equilibrium state in the liquid N2 chamber?

1. What factors determine the equilibrium state in the liquid N2 chamber?

The equilibrium state in the liquid N2 chamber is determined by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the properties of the liquid N2 itself. These factors work together to establish a balance between the liquid and gas phases of the N2.

2. How does the temperature affect the equilibrium state in the liquid N2 chamber?

The temperature plays a crucial role in determining the equilibrium state in the liquid N2 chamber. As the temperature increases, the equilibrium shifts towards the gas phase as more N2 molecules gain enough energy to escape the liquid and become gas molecules. On the other hand, a decrease in temperature favors the liquid phase as more gas molecules condense into liquid form.

3. Why is pressure important in maintaining the equilibrium state in the liquid N2 chamber?

The pressure inside the liquid N2 chamber also affects the equilibrium state. An increase in pressure will favor the liquid phase, as the gas molecules are forced closer together and have a higher chance of colliding and condensing into liquid form. On the other hand, a decrease in pressure will favor the gas phase as the molecules have more space to move and escape the liquid phase.

4. What are the properties of liquid N2 that contribute to the equilibrium state?

The properties of liquid N2, such as its boiling point, vapor pressure, and density, all play a role in determining the equilibrium state. These properties are affected by temperature and pressure and can influence the balance between the liquid and gas phases in the chamber.

5. How can the equilibrium state in the liquid N2 chamber be altered or controlled?

The equilibrium state in the liquid N2 chamber can be altered or controlled by adjusting the temperature or pressure inside the chamber. Additionally, adding other substances to the liquid N2, such as solutes or impurities, can also affect the equilibrium state by changing the properties of the liquid and gas phases.