What Was the Best Video Game of 2007?

In summary: I want to get into another FPS right now. I think I'd rather play something different. In summary, the PS3's power is difficult to unlock and developer's are having a hard time developing for it.
Coin
*** CLICK HERE TO VOTE ***

So, for the last few years I've been doing this "Game of the Year" poll with this voting script I made. This poll is different from most polls you've seen-- in normal polls like this you have maybe five or so options, and you pick the one you like best. This poll however gives you a list of maybe a hundred options, and let's you pick your top 20 (or less than 20), in order of preference. I think this gives more interesting results than a normal poll, because sometimes people's "second choice" can be very important. Here's the results from last year, if you want to see what this looks like in practice-- I think there's a lot of interesting information captured there that would be lost in a normal poll. (Plus, there are pretty colors! :smile:)

If you would like to give it a shot, I will be running this poll until the evening of Jan 8., then I will take the poll down and post results.

Thanks!

(P.S.-- I hope it is okay on physicsforums to link an external site like this! I wasn't sure who exactly to be asking permission from. The poll has to go on its own site, though, because the vote-ranking interface is slightly involved. Anyway if I'm doing something wrong please let me know.)

(Again, if you'd like to vote, the link is here.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thought assassin's would do better and uncharted, but I guess it was released a little late.

Well, I think Uncharted was hurt badly because very very few people own PS3s at this point, so most people didn't get a chance to play it (I've never seen Uncharted, myself).

Its very good graphically and gameplay wise, and to think its still only using only a third of the processing power of the PS3.

Best of 2008: Starcraft 2 :biggrin:

Kurdt said:
Its very good graphically and gameplay wise, and to think its still only using only a third of the processing power of the PS3.
Well... the problem with the PS3 isn't so much how much processing power it has, it's that with the PS3 it is very difficult to unlock that processing power, compared to say the 360. The best PS3 game ever made over the next four years will probably not use the PS3's full power.

I hope developers will figure out ways to get better at this, the PS3 has a neat architecture and it's frustrating to see for example the Orange Box reportedly having like half the framerate on the PS3 as the 360 or whatever, and suspect it's just because Sony made that architecture hard to use.

Coin said:
Well... the problem with the PS3 isn't so much how much processing power it has, it's that with the PS3 it is very difficult to unlock that processing power, compared to say the 360. The best PS3 game ever made over the next four years will probably not use the PS3's full power.

I hope developers will figure out ways to get better at this, the PS3 has a neat architecture and it's frustrating to see for example the Orange Box reportedly having like half the framerate on the PS3 as the 360 or whatever, and suspect it's just because Sony made that architecture hard to use.

Game developers are having a tough time working it out and hence they develop primarily for the xbox which is easier and do sloppy conversions. The length of the GTA IV delay is an indicator of the problems they're having but at least this time they're not being hasty about it.

Call of duty 4 easily.

Assassin's Creed is absolute GARBAGE. Yeah the first 3 kills were fun but after that the game got EXTREMELY BORING. Ride horse from point A to Point B. Climb towers at point B, complete the same side missions as before, kill target. Repeat 9 times.

I stopped playing AC after the 4th mission and traded it in for COD4. Best decision I have ever made.

I didn't do the voting because it is too complicated.

gravenewworld said:
Call of duty 4 easily.

Assassin's Creed is absolute GARBAGE. Yeah the first 3 kills were fun but after that the game got EXTREMELY BORING. Ride horse from point A to Point B. Climb towers at point B, complete the same side missions as before, kill target. Repeat 9 times.

I stopped playing AC after the 4th mission and traded it in for COD4. Best decision I have ever made.

I agree with COD4 but I'm slightly obsessive compulsive so the repetitiveness in AC was rather good. I enjoyed finding all the flags and things. I think the whole point of the game was to show off the game engine which was very good. The sequels will have better game play.

Kurdt said:
I agree with COD4 but I'm slightly obsessive compulsive so the repetitiveness in AC was rather good. I enjoyed finding all the flags and things. I think the whole point of the game was to show off the game engine which was very good. The sequels will have better game play.

What happens when you get all of the flags? I always did wonder.

The satisfaction of collecting all the flags.

Kurdt said:
The satisfaction of collecting all the flags.

:smile:

SO GLAD i got rid of the game...

gravenewworld said:
Call of duty 4 easily.

Yes. That is a particularly good one. However, I was a little discouraged to find that after working your way up all the way to prestige mode, all it does is start you over and gives you a medal. Oh well, I had fun with it anyway :biggrin:.

gravenewworld said:
:smile:

SO GLAD i got rid of the game...

Those things drive me nuts. Same with all the previous GTA's I had to get 100% completion or I'd go mental.

cod4 & UT3

Surely the orange box...

GlAdos made me laugh my ass off.

Related to What Was the Best Video Game of 2007?

What are the top contenders for the best video game of 2007?

Some of the top contenders for the best video game of 2007 include Halo 3, BioShock, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

How was the winner of the best video game of 2007 determined?

The winner of the best video game of 2007 was determined through a poll conducted by a reputable gaming website or magazine. This poll likely took into account factors such as sales, critical reviews, and fan votes.

What made the winning video game stand out from the rest?

The winning video game likely stood out from the rest due to its innovative gameplay, compelling story, stunning graphics, and overall high-quality design. It may also have received a significant amount of hype and anticipation prior to its release.

Did the best video game of 2007 receive any awards or recognition?

Yes, it is likely that the best video game of 2007 received numerous awards and recognition from various gaming organizations and publications. It may have also been nominated for game of the year or other prestigious awards.

Are there any other notable video games from 2007 that didn't make the top spot?

Absolutely. While the winning video game may have been the most popular and critically acclaimed, there were likely many other great games released in 2007 that didn't make the top spot. Some honorable mentions include Assassin's Creed, Super Mario Galaxy, and Rock Band.