What was Farrah Fawcett's lasting impact on American culture?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary: Farrah Fawcett's hair. Oh the hours of lost sleep she cost me every morning when I woke really early to try and imitate her hairstyle every day before school.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actress and incandescent beauty Farrah Fawcett, 62, died this afternoon at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica, Calif., after a long battle with cancer.

Hers was the face that launched a million push pins...
http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20090625_Farrah_Fawcett_dies_at_62.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtNeSOGkvI

I can remember when her most famous poster was seen EVERYWHERE! For a decade she was America's hearthrob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw a recent documentary about her battle with cancer. It showed an amazing amount of strength and courage right to the end that she had them filming her at her worst moments to help raise more awareness about cancer, and that she seemed to be remaining very positive in her attitude in spite of knowing she was dying.

Moonbear said:
I saw a recent documentary about her battle with cancer. It showed an amazing amount of strength and courage right to the end that she had them filming her at her worst moments to help raise more awareness about cancer, and that she seemed to be remaining very positive in her attitude in spite of knowing she was dying.

That documentary was playing in the background as I was doing chores, so I only caught a bit of it. But I was impressed by her wit and optimism.

Farewell... you were my favorite Angel.

http://www.gizmotastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/farrah-fawcett.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:

Yes, I have seen a bit of this and was impressed as well. It seems that beneath all of that beauty, she was a real beauty.

I'm clearly showing my age, but I've never heard of her... !

Likes gracy
cristo said:

You're not showing your age; you're showing your planet.

DaveC426913 said:

:biggrin: Thank goodness, because I was worrying he was showing MY age!

cristo said:
Fawcett starred with Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith in Charlie's Angles, which aired from 1976 to 1981. Fawcett was in the first season 1976-77, then skipped a year and reappeared during 1978-80. Prior to Charlie's Angels she starred in commercials during the late 60's through early 1970's.

She was married to Lee Majors, star of TV's The Six Million Dollar Man, from 1973–1982, although the couple separated in 1979. At the time she was known as Farrah Fawcett-Majors.

Apparently millions of girls imitated her hair style.

Astronuc said:

Including most of the ones that I knew.

DaveC426913 said:

I don't know that she was ever big overseas.

Likes gracy
Ivan Seeking said:
I don't know that she was ever big overseas.
Overseas. Yeah. Isn't that what I said? :biggrin:

Astronuc said:

I had a Farrah doll. It was basically a Barbie doll with Farrah's head. I wish I still had it...it'd probably be worth a lot of money today.

Though, Kate Jackson was always my favorite angel.

Moonbear said:
Mine too! :-p :biggrin: I liked serious, intelligent woman with dark hair.

Astronuc said:
Fawcett starred with Kate Jackson and Jaclyn Smith in Charlie's Angles, which aired from 1976 to 1981. Fawcett was in the first season 1976-77, then skipped a year and reappeared during 1978-80. Prior to Charlie's Angels she starred in commercials during the late 60's through early 1970's.

Oh right, of course I've heard of the original Charlie's Angels, though I don't recognise them by name (or even face!). Still, seems like all the things she was renowned for were done way before I was born :wink:

Moonbear said:
Mine too.

I liked her so much, I paid full price to see her in 'Making Love'.

(Note: she was not one of the ones making love, or having love made to her)

I decided to keep all three of them.

Astronuc said:
Mine too! :-p :biggrin: I liked serious, intelligent woman with dark hair.
I always thought that she was the "pretty" one.

DaveC426913 said:
Mine too.

I liked her so much, I paid full price to see her in 'Making Love'.

(Note: she was not one of the ones making love, or having love made to her)

Mine too, and me too. :smile:

Farrah's hair. Oh the hours of lost sleep she cost me every morning when I woke really early to try and imitate her hairstyle every day before school.

She's truly a part of a large collective memory.

On the up side she certainly raised awareness of the fact that refusing medical treatment kills people.

Farrah always turned on my faucet. Sorry, that's an old joke from the 70's. I usually take 'em from the 50's. Everything is harder when you are in the public eye, even dying.

Related to What was Farrah Fawcett's lasting impact on American culture?

What is the cause of Farrah Fawcett's death?

Farrah Fawcett passed away on June 25, 2009 due to anal cancer. She had been battling the disease for three years.

How old was Farrah Fawcett when she died?

Farrah Fawcett was 62 years old at the time of her death.

What was Farrah Fawcett's most famous role?

Farrah Fawcett is most well-known for her role as Jill Munroe in the hit TV series "Charlie's Angels" in the 1970s.

Was Farrah Fawcett married at the time of her death?

No, Farrah Fawcett was not married at the time of her death. She was in a long-term relationship with actor Ryan O'Neal.

What were Farrah Fawcett's contributions to the entertainment industry?

Farrah Fawcett was not only known for her acting career, but also for her modeling and iconic hairstyle. She was also a producer and director, and received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1995.