What value will make these two vectors parallel?

In summary, the two vectors 3i + 2j + 9k = w and 5i - j + ck = v will never be parallel, as there is no value of c that will make them parallel.
kasda-1

Homework Statement

What value of c will make these two vectors parallel?

Homework Equations

3i + 2j + 9k = w
5i - j + ck = v

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried too find a common factor to multiply by the w vector to get the components of the v vector, but no luck.

3i (5/3) + 2j (5/3) +9k (5/3) = 5i + 10/3 j + 45/3 k ≠ 5i - j +ck

Physics news on Phys.org
kasda-1 said:

Homework Statement

What value of c will make these two vectors parallel?

Homework Equations

3i + 2j + 9k = w
5i - j + ck = v

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried too find a common factor to multiply by the w vector to get the components of the v vector, but no luck.

3i (5/3) + 2j (5/3) +9k (5/3) = 5i + 10/3 j + 45/3 k ≠ 5i - j +ck

Would that lead you to conclude that there is no value of c that will make them parallel? Because that would be correct.

Dick said:
Would that lead you to conclude that there is no value of c that will make them parallel? Because that would be correct.

I thought and thought about this problem, wondering if this is a trick question. It probably is that simple :).

Related to What value will make these two vectors parallel?

1. What does it mean for two vectors to be parallel?

Two vectors are parallel if they have the same direction or are in the same line, even if they have different magnitudes.

2. How do you determine if two vectors are parallel?

You can determine if two vectors are parallel by finding their direction or slope. If they have the same direction or slope, they are parallel. You can also use the dot product to determine if two vectors are parallel.

3. What value of scalar multiplication will make two vectors parallel?

If two vectors are parallel, then they are scalar multiples of each other. This means that multiplying one vector by a scalar value will result in the other vector.

4. Can two non-zero vectors ever be parallel?

No, two non-zero vectors cannot be parallel. For two vectors to be parallel, they must have the same direction or slope, and non-zero vectors have different directions or slopes.

5. What is the importance of understanding parallel vectors?

Understanding parallel vectors is important in many areas of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and geometry. It allows us to analyze and solve complex problems involving direction and magnitude. Additionally, parallel vectors have applications in fields such as computer graphics and data science.