What typically is considered an in-major class for a physics major?

In summary: The idea was that the physics department couldn't "count" courses outside the department as part of the major - at least not without permission from a dean and/or the registrar.In summary, the definition of in-major classes for a physics major may vary from university to university and students should consult their advisor or check the course catalog for the official list of requirements. These requirements may include courses designated as PHYS as well as courses in other subjects such as math and chemistry. It may be necessary to search for the course catalog on the university's website or ask an academic advisor for the link. It should also be noted that there may be a distinction between courses in the major and courses in the major department, and that general education requirements may not count towards the major
tibreaker
I was just wondering what typically is considered an in major class for a physics major? Is it only classes designated as PHYS? Or do math and chemistry classes also count? I can't seem to find a list of in major classes for physics majors on my universities website. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tibreaker said:
I was just wondering what typically is considered an in major class for a physics major? Is it only classes designated as PHYS? Or do math and chemistry classes also count? I can't seem to find a list of in major classes for physics majors on my universities website. Thanks.

It's going to vary from university to university, course to course. Email your advisor.

Have you tried googling "[University] Course Catalog 2017"?

Likes Apple_Mango
tibreaker said:
Find the course catalog for that university either AT the university or in any public or college library. You may, instead try a web/internet search for the catalogs that you want to look in.

I can't imagine that any college or university in the US doesn't publish the requirements for its degrees online nowadays. A potential problem is that departmental web sites or other web pages may not be kept fully up to date with the current offiiclal requirements. Different people are often responsible for updating different pages, and it's hard to keep everybody in sync, especially if faculty are involved. Herding faculty is like herding cats. :-p (I say this as a former faculty member / cat.)

symbolipoint said:
Find the course catalog for that university either AT the university or in any public or college library.
At the college where I worked, the provost recently reminded faculty (I'm still on the faculty mailing list) that the official source for major and degree requirements is a PDF file of the college catalog, located at a specific URL on the college web site. For good measure, he attached a copy to the e-mail. They apparently no longer publish a printed catalog at all, or at least they don't distribute it on campus.

So one may have to dig around on the college/university's website for the current official version of the catalog, or its equivalent. Or if you're on campus, ask an academic advisor for a link, to make sure.

I may as well add that where I used to teach, we made a distinction for certain purposes, between "courses in the major" and "courses in the major department". For physics, the former included courses in math etc. that were required for the physics major, but the second included only physics courses.

Neither of them included English, social science, foreign languages, etc. which were part of the "general education" requirements that all students had to take.

Related to What typically is considered an in-major class for a physics major?

1. What is an in-major class for a physics major?

An in-major class for a physics major is a course that is specifically designed to fulfill the requirements for a physics major. These courses are typically more advanced and specialized than general education classes.

2. How do I know if a class counts as an in-major class for a physics major?

You can check with your academic advisor or refer to your university's course catalog to determine if a particular class counts as an in-major class for a physics major. Typically, these courses will have a specific code or title that indicates it is for physics majors.

3. Can I take an in-major class for a physics major as an elective?

It depends on your university's policies. Some universities may allow you to take in-major classes as electives, while others may require you to take specific electives within your major. It's best to check with your academic advisor for clarification.

4. Are there any prerequisites for in-major classes for a physics major?

Yes, most in-major classes for a physics major will have prerequisites that must be completed before enrolling. These prerequisites may include lower-level physics courses, math courses, or other related science courses. Be sure to check the course requirements before enrolling.

5. How many in-major classes are required for a physics major?

This may vary depending on your university's curriculum, but typically a physics major will require around 10-12 in-major classes. These may include core courses in physics, as well as electives in specific areas of physics such as quantum mechanics or astrophysics.