What types of food spoil the fastest?

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary: I thought they were pretty fun myself. :smile::biggrin: I'm surprised anyone still... remembers those. I thought they were pretty fun myself. :smile:
I'm going to call it.

The ice water froze first.

The room temperature water second

The 100 degree water third.

The 80 and 50 degree at about the same times but I think the 80 was last.

There is an effect but it doesn't seem as pronounced as the "myth" makes out.

Conclusions

Iced water freezes the fastest room temperature the second fastest with boiling water third then 50 degrees then 80 degrees, it's obvious to me that the boiling has some sort of effect but it's not really clear cut enough to expand further on that. As to why this is true I suggest you explore the link given on this thread. But for now it seems to me that room temperature or cold water freezes faster than hot water.

Well it's been a quick one this time but we have exposed the experiment to science and found the idea somewhat wanting, of course follow up experiments will be needed but, I'll leave that to you guys to take this forward from the theoretical to the proven.

Let me know if anyone else decides to do it and what the results are.

The controls reacted the same as the others.

Acknowledgements

It's not every day people get a glimpse into the realm of science, you should feel humbled. The ignorant mask of hypothesis has been torn from the face of knowledge and now we see it's beauty bare.

As ever thanks to all my encouragers and for the experimental idea, you know who you are, and thanks to all the others for contributions.

The dog is getting big love, I'm felling all loved up, it's one of those moments.:smile:

If I can think of another quick experiment I might do another one, but until then keep living the dream people :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thumbs up Schrog, that's the spirit! :cool:

I have a hypothesis that the tram/bus always comes when you're waiting on a station and when you light up a cigarette. As if the heartless metal means of public transport care about public health. Something to think about. :biggrin:

SD, I would suggest that you do it again, and follow the second step in the procedure that I suggested. After you take your samples at the various temperatures and various boiling times, put them in the refrigerator until they cool to the same temperature, THEN put them in the freezer and time them. The hypothesis is that outgassing, etc, may effect the speed with which the samples freeze even when they all entered the freezer with the same temperature. In other words, even if the samples all enter the freezer at a temperature of 42 deg F (for example), will the previous history of heating have an effect on how fast the water freezes.

turbo-1 said:
SD, I would suggest that you do it again, and follow the second step in the procedure that I suggested. After you take your samples at the various temperatures and various boiling times, put them in the refrigerator until they cool to the same temperature, THEN put them in the freezer and time them. The hypothesis is that outgassing, etc, may effect the speed with which the samples freeze even when they all entered the freezer with the same temperature. In other words, even if the samples all enter the freezer at a temperature of 42 deg F (for example), will the previous history of heating have an effect on how fast the water freezes.

Yes problem was I didn't really have the time to do that last night but I'll repeat it again on Saturday probably when I've got a bit more time. For now though I think 100 degree water freezes slightly quicker than 80-50 degree water but not as fast as room to chilled water,it's pretty much debunked this myth. I'm sure if I repeated it a dozen times - and I'm assuming everyone else has performed this experiment under simillar conditions as mine - I'd get the same results. It's pretty much bull plop IMO, albeit a tentative one.

It seems to me the effect happens more to do with certain conditions as the link states than because of the water's temperature, rather the effect this has on the water.

Last edited:
Very cool! ...errr or should I say cold?