What types of birds over-winter where you live?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, there are a variety of birds in the office window, and most of them are typically found near feeders during the winter.
turbo
Gold Member
I have 3 different bird-feeders in front of my office window (thistle seed, suet, sunflower seed) so I get to watch a lot of different birds. Chickadees are plentiful, and the red-breasted and white-breasted nuthatches tend to flock with them. Our winter finches are redpolls, and they are well-represented. Then of course there are the downy and hairy woodpeckers and the bluejays. That's about it.

The slate juncos stayed late this year, but since the nights have gotten so cold, they have been MIA. Perhaps they moved down Astronuc's way to avoid the bitter cold.

This line-up is probably what we will have for the rest of the winter until things start warming up again. What birds do you have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pigeons

Doves, cardinals and junkos.

When I was doing consulting work for a mill in western KY in winter, I was pleasantly surprised to see all the cardinals. Of course, the blackbirds/starlings blackened the sky - impressive, but not that pretty.

nsaspook said:
Canada geese, pretty from the air but they really make a mess on the ground.
No kidding. When I was working for General Physics, I occasionally made winter visits to the home office in Columbia, MD. There was a pond near the office, and the Canada geese had the lawns so fouled up that you wouldn't dare to try to walk down there - and heaven help you if you fell down!

Got a new individual today. His breast is so brightly colored that I had to put on my glasses and get a better look to make sure it wasn't a purple finch. Nope. Just a redpoll, but a bright one. If I had seen him initially with other redpolls or maybe chickadees, I would have known he wasn't a purple finch (a bit too small).

White winged doves are the ones that I notice. In summer, there are so many that people consider them pests. In winter, there are only a bearable number in my yard.

turbo said:
I have 3 different bird-feeders in front of my office window (thistle seed, suet, sunflower seed) so I get to watch a lot of different birds. Chickadees are plentiful, and the red-breasted and white-breasted nuthatches tend to flock with them. Our winter finches are redpolls, and they are well-represented. Then of course there are the downy and hairy woodpeckers and the bluejays. That's about it.

The slate juncos stayed late this year, but since the nights have gotten so cold, they have been MIA. Perhaps they moved down Astronuc's way to avoid the bitter cold.

This line-up is probably what we will have for the rest of the winter until things start warming up again. What birds do you have?
We have the same birds. Juncos are here.

We have geese and various gulls, various hawks and owls.

The other day, we had several pairs of eastern bluebirds in the backyard, which was a surprise.

And we have various woodpeckers: Redbelly, downy and hairy.

Those little pigs have eaten 1/2 gallon of black-oil sunflower seeds since noon. We have freezing rain and drizzle, and there hasn't been a single redpoll at the feeders all day, so it's all chickadees eating those seeds.

Related to What types of birds over-winter where you live?

1. What types of birds typically over-winter in our area?

The types of birds that typically over-winter in our area depend on our location and climate. Some common birds that over-winter in many regions include chickadees, cardinals, juncos, and sparrows. However, there may also be other migratory birds that over-winter in our area depending on their specific needs and behaviors.

2. How do birds survive the winter?

Birds have various adaptations that help them survive the winter. These include growing thicker feathers, fluffing their feathers to create insulation, and storing fat reserves. Some birds also migrate to warmer climates while others remain in our area and forage for food sources such as seeds, berries, and insects.

3. Are there any rare or endangered birds that over-winter in our area?

It is possible for rare or endangered birds to over-winter in our area, as their behavior and migration patterns may vary. However, it is more common for these birds to migrate to warmer climates during the winter months to ensure their survival.

4. Can we attract certain types of birds to over-winter in our backyard?

Yes, we can attract certain types of birds to over-winter in our backyard by providing food sources, such as bird feeders and suet, and creating a bird-friendly environment with shelter and water sources. It is important to research the specific needs and preferences of the birds we want to attract before making any changes to our backyard.

5. How does climate change affect the over-wintering patterns of birds?

Climate change can have a significant impact on the over-wintering patterns of birds. It can alter their migration patterns, as well as the availability of food sources and suitable habitats. This can lead to changes in the types of birds that over-winter in our area and their overall survival. It is important to take steps to mitigate climate change and protect the habitats of our local bird populations.