What type of book is best for QM and GR - math or physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach for learning physics theories such as QFT, general QM, and Special/General Relativity. The speakers suggest following a systematic approach, starting with Newtonian mechanics and gradually moving on to more complex topics like classical electrodynamics and quantum mechanics. They also mention the importance of understanding mathematical concepts such as Euclidean vectors, derivatives, integrals, and partial differential equations. The speakers recommend not spending too much time on just mathematics, but rather focusing on gaining practical experience and familiarity with the concepts.
kent davidge
I decided to go deep in physics theories such as QFT, general QM and Special/General Relativity. Would it be better to spend a lot of time, say, 1+ year, learning through the most complete math books or just use books that mix math and physics to learn the necessary and suficient math and go to the physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
I think you need a more realistic goal. You're not going to get to GR in a year if you don't have vectors under control yet.
:biggrin:

I've also been self-learning math and physics when I was in high school. Usually I just started with a subject I was interested in and then realized what mathematical tools I needed. This is, however, indeed not the best way to learn physics. It's way better to go systematically in the "canonical order", i.e., Newtonian mechanics, then classical electrodynamics including special relativity. Then you may decide, whether to first go on with GR or quantum mechanics. For quantum mechanics also you need to get a good grip on the non-relativistic theory. QFT is more subtle.

Concerning the math you can do this in parallel, because a lot of concepts of math have their origin in physics anyway (it's not by chance that Newton discovered calculus when thinking about mechanics; on the other hand Leibniz discovered it by pure mathematical interest). In classical mechanics you need first of all Euclidean vectors, derivatives, integrals, and then some ordinary differential equations. Mathwise, I think the most challenging step is to learn the full 3D Euclidean vector calculus with div, grad, curl, as well as line, surface, and volume integrals and their various interrelations (Gauss's and Stokes's Theorems), which you need in full glory for classical electrodynamics. At the same time electrodynamics is the best subject to learn its use, together with the most important physically relevant partial differential equations, since a loarge part of classical electrodynamics is mathematically a linear field theory.

Concerning special relativity, I think the optimal order is to split it in two parts. You can already learn a part of special relativity after learning Newtonian mechanics, introducing 4D vector algebra (Minkowski space) on the same level as 3D Euclidean vector algebra. The second part then comes into the game when you have learned classical electromagnetism in the usual 3D vector-calculus way. After this you can extend your knowledge about 4D Minkowski space to full 4D vector calculus.

Before dealing with quantum mechanics, I'd also recommend to learn about "the action principle" and together with it calculus of variations and some elementary (Lie) group theory, because that's the best way to understand the heuristics of quantum mechanics.

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
I decided to go deep in physics theories such as QFT, general QM and Special/General Relativity. Would it be better to spend a lot of time, say, 1+ year, learning through the most complete math books or just use books that mix math and physics to learn the necessary and suficient math and go to the physics?

I wouldn't spend too long on just the mathematics. But, if you take a look at "Paul's online maths", I'd say you need everything in his Calculus courses. You may be able to learn it from there, or you may need some textbooks.

For QM you also need a good introduction to Linear Algebra and Complex Numbers.

As others have said, there are physics prerequisites as well. Classical mechanics, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, EM (field theory).

But also, it's experience and familiarity with the various physical and mathematical concepts.

Likes kent davidge and vanhees71

Related to What type of book is best for QM and GR - math or physics?

1. What is the difference between a math book and a physics book for QM and GR?

A math book for QM and GR will focus primarily on the mathematical concepts and equations used in these fields, while a physics book will also include explanations and applications of these concepts in the context of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

2. Which type of book is more suitable for beginners in QM and GR?

For beginners, a physics book may be more suitable as it will provide a more intuitive understanding of the concepts before delving into the mathematics. However, a math book may also be beneficial for those with a strong mathematical background.

3. Are there any specific math or physics prerequisites for understanding these topics?

A strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra is necessary for understanding QM and GR, so both types of books will likely require some level of mathematical proficiency. However, a physics book may have more explanations and examples to help bridge the gap for those with less mathematical background.

4. Are there any significant differences in the content covered in math and physics books for QM and GR?

Both types of books will cover the same fundamental concepts and equations, but a math book may go into more depth and detail in the mathematical derivations and theories, while a physics book may focus more on real-world applications and experiments.

5. Can I use both types of books for a comprehensive understanding of QM and GR?

Absolutely! Using both a math book and a physics book in conjunction can provide a well-rounded understanding of these complex topics. Each type of book offers unique perspectives and explanations that can complement and enhance one another.