What to take for summer courses?

In summary, the individual is finishing high school and will be entering their first year of university in the fall. They have already taken Calculus I at a local university and are looking for summer courses to keep them busy. They will be pursuing an Engineering Science degree with a major in physics at the University of Toronto. They are considering taking Linear Algebra & Vector Geometry in the May-June session and are undecided about the July-August session, with options including Linear Algebra 2, Calculus 2, Multivariable Calculus, and Intro to Number Theory. They are also considering options in statistics and programming. They have received advice to prioritize Linear Algebra and to gain programming skills for future job opportunities. They also mention considering taking a number
Spatium
So I am just finishing high school and will be entering my first year of university in the fall. I have taken Calculus I at the local university already and am looking for a summer course or two to keep me busy for the summer!

I will be pursuing an Engineering Science degree (with plan to major in physics) at the University of Toronto and am wanting to take a math course, so the more useful it is to Physics the better!

I think in the May-June session I am going to take Linear Algebra & Vector Geometry (a first year course), but my indecision comes in for the July-August session, my options are:

-Sit in on Linear Algebra 2 (Course continues from LA&VG to cover eigenvectors and such) (The session is unfortunately full already :(, otherwise this would be my first choice, I could still go to the lectures though)

-Sit in on Calculus 2 (Once again... session full, darn my slowness!)

-Multivariable Calculus (Though I don't formally have Calculus 2 I have done a LOT of self studying and am confident in my integrating abilities for sure. Do you think it is feasible to go right to Multivar Calc with some additional self study perhaps?)

-Intro to Number Theory (A second year course I thought might be helpful to build general math knowledge?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Any options on statistics or C++/MATLAB?

By sit in do you mean audit? If yes, then it doesn't matter if the session is full, go there first and grab a seat :P

As for your options anything Linear Algebra helps you in physics. I don't know the whole Calc I and II shebang; I thought Calc II was multivariable calculus? :S Well that's how it was when I did it.

In any case Lin Alg > Calc IMO

Good Luck

SolsticeFire

PS: Number Theory won't help you in physics classes whatsoever but I'll still recommend for the experience :)

MikeyW said:
Any options on statistics or C++/MATLAB?

Highly agree here. I have only taken one summer class and it was only because of I had to. I would recommend getting into some sort of project for the summer. Learn a programming language and rip into physics from there. You can model so many things which makes programming and physics more fun. If you intend on doing physics as a major then programming will play a huge role when it comes time to look for a job. The quicker you learn hard skills the better.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to go for the credit of Lin.Alg.&Vec.Geo. and then audit Linear Algebra 2.

I've done a lot of computer science in high school and will have a lot more in engineering still to come so I'm okay with my programming knowledge for now.

And yeah I guess I should have posted a syllabus for the Calc courses. I guess at the local university Calc I covers limits, differentiation, applications, basic integration. Calc II covers integration techniques, improper integrals, infinite series and then of course Multivariable is self explanatory!

I may take the number theory course as well anyways if it is as "fun" as you say!

If you're the self-study type, programs like Hopkins CTY or Stanford EPGY are excellent as well as rewarding!

Related to What to take for summer courses?

1. What types of courses are typically offered during the summer?

Summer courses vary depending on the institution, but most commonly include core classes, electives, and specialized courses in subjects such as language, business, and science. Some schools also offer online courses during the summer.

2. How many summer courses should I take?

The number of summer courses you should take depends on your personal schedule and academic goals. It is important to consider the workload of each course and how it may fit into your overall academic plan. It is recommended to consult with an academic advisor before enrolling in summer courses.

3. Can I transfer summer courses to my regular academic program?

Yes, most summer courses can be transferred to your regular academic program as long as they are from an accredited institution and approved by your school. It is best to confirm with your school's registrar or academic advisor for specific transfer policies.

4. How long do summer courses last?

The length of summer courses varies, but they are typically shorter than regular semester courses. Some may last for 4-6 weeks, while others may run for the entire summer session. It is important to check the course schedule for specific dates and deadlines.

5. Can I still take a break during the summer if I enroll in summer courses?

Yes, you can still take a break during the summer if you enroll in summer courses. Many schools offer multiple summer sessions, allowing students to take a break in between courses. It is also common for students to take one or two courses during the summer while also taking a break from their regular academic schedule.