What to expect from a CE and CS?

• Thread starter IntegrateMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs
In summary, computer engineering is a combination of computer science and electrical engineering, while computer science focuses more on theory and practical applications. Both fields have similar job prospects and salary potential. Computer engineering is considered more difficult due to its combination of two different disciplines. The level of enjoyment in each field depends on personal interests and preferences.
IntegrateMe
What are the difference and similarities between computer engineerings and computer scientists? Which career has a better job outlook and which will earn more money (just interested, not basing my decision on money)? Which do you think is more difficult and for what reason(s)? Which do you think is more fun?

I understand many of these are subjective but I'm still interested.

Physics news on Phys.org
IntegrateMe said:
What are the difference and similarities between computer engineerings and computer scientists?

Computer Engineering is a mix of computer science with an architecture bent (meaning operating systems, assembly, and the CPU/other hardware on the motherboard) and EE with a digital circuits bent. You get all the fundamental courses of each major (algorithms, data structures, circuits, communications, etc.) but instead of getting a broader picture or specializing (which is what upper level courses are supposed to be for), you're already locked into your specialty.

CS is all the CS basics in CompE, expanded further, with a heavy dose of theory (things like language paradigms and the underlying ideas of databases and AI) and lots of practical CS applications (software engineering, more databasis, Unix, etc.)

The fields have about the same financial outlook, though traditionally embedded systems/systems programming have been some of the best CS jobs, and those are positions good CompE's are well suited for. Happens to be, lots of companies will higher someone with a compE degree for a good many CS jobs because many CS jobs don't require much CS knowledge above the basics, but it depends on the company/field.

I'm getting a degree in computer engineering, but I like CS far more. Computer engineering is more difficult simply because it's a mix of EE and CS and they're two very different modes of thinking. Almost everyone I know in compE leans towards one discipline or another, even the guys getting 3.9s.

Fun is a relative term: I like solving logic puzzles and figuring out state machines, and that's far more a part of CS and then of EE. But I also play with robots a lot, and that's where having the EE knowledge can come in handy. It's all a matter of what you're most interested in.

Last edited:

Related to What to expect from a CE and CS?

What is the difference between Computer Engineering and Computer Science?

Computer Engineering (CE) focuses on the design and development of computer hardware and software systems, while Computer Science (CS) focuses on the theoretical and practical aspects of computing and software development. CE combines elements of electrical engineering and computer science, while CS is a more theoretical and mathematical discipline.

What are the job opportunities for graduates with a degree in CE or CS?

Graduates with a degree in CE or CS have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as technology, finance, healthcare, government, and more. Some common job titles for CE graduates include computer systems engineer, embedded systems engineer, and network engineer. For CS graduates, job titles may include software developer, data scientist, and information security analyst.

What skills do I need to be successful in CE or CS?

In addition to technical skills in programming, circuit design, and data analysis, successful CE and CS professionals also have strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. They also need to be adaptable and able to keep up with the constantly evolving technology landscape.

Can I switch from CE to CS or vice versa?

While there may be some overlap in courses and concepts between CE and CS, they are distinct disciplines with different focuses. It is possible to switch between the two, but it may require additional coursework or a longer time to complete your degree. It is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals before making a decision to switch.

What are some emerging trends in CE and CS?

Some emerging trends in CE and CS include artificial intelligence and machine learning, internet of things (IoT), virtual and augmented reality, and cybersecurity. These areas are expected to continue to grow in the coming years, creating new job opportunities for CE and CS professionals.