What to do with a physics degree...

In summary, the conversation discusses the career prospects for a physics major, specifically with a focus on astrophysics. The speaker is currently enrolled in a college with a strong physics program and is interested in finding out what jobs are available for a bachelor's degree in physics. They mention getting mixed answers when researching this topic and ask for a general overview of the job market for an astrophysics major. The conversation also includes advice on how to make oneself more employable as a physics major, as well as the potential competition for jobs in the field.
Jakecrews28
So I'm currently enrolled at a college with a great physics program and signed up and on course to be a physics major. I'm working on doing research to see what kind of jobs a physics major does and I figured here would be a could place to ask. I love everything about physics but I get mixed answered when I try to find out what jobs there are for a bachelor in physics. I would probably make my focus in it astrophysics. If anyone could generalize for me the job market for that I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Checkout the APS site. They have job posting that can give you ideas on what work physicists may do.

www.aps.org

Look for the Careers in Physics tab and start there.

I think the main, and perhaps only, reason one should do a physics BS is to go on to a physics PhD. That is really the only job a physics BS specifically trains you for. Otherwise, you should at least consider graduate school in some other area after your physics BS. Engineering, education and computer science seem to be popular graduate programs for physics graduates.

Likes Intraverno
@ModusPwnd: I do agree that a bachelors in physics specifically trains one for a PhD in physics, but it isn't the only path.

For example, few of graduating students in my school this year went to software engineering, and a good portion of physics graduates (both BS and PhD) go into finance (quantitative analysis).

I think you can open yourself to many different careers by taking some courses (or learning on your own, which I would prefer) in different fields, such as engineering, finance, econ, etc... Also, absolutely learn coding, because it will be useful no matter where you go into, be it research or engineering, finance, ...

EDIT: Check out the education section of this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_analyst

Jakecrews28 said:
So I'm currently enrolled at a college with a great physics program and signed up and on course to be a physics major. I'm working on doing research to see what kind of jobs a physics major does and I figured here would be a could place to ask. I love everything about physics but I get mixed answered when I try to find out what jobs there are for a bachelor in physics. I would probably make my focus in it astrophysics. If anyone could generalize for me the job market for that I would greatly appreciate it.

Your post is a bit confusing.

You asked for the types of jobs available for a physics major with only a B.Sc degree, but then you want to focus on "astrophysics".

Here's the deal:

1. While a lot of people do stop at a B.Sc in physics, they typically do NOT work as a physicist or in higher-level physics research. That is not probable because of the required knowledge/expertise, and the fact that there are a lot of physics Ph.D out there looking for jobs. The competition alone will make this highly improbable for you to be hired in such a position. So I expect the same with astrophysics.

2. If you do intend on stopping at a B.Sc., then you should try to make yourself as "employable" as possible during your undergraduate years for jobs outside of physics/astrophysics. This means taking a lot of experimental work, labs, and programming. Load yourself up with lots of skills that you think employers might want.

Please read Part VIII of my So You Want To Be A Physicist essay.

Zz.

Related to What to do with a physics degree...

1. What jobs can I get with a physics degree?

A physics degree can open up a variety of career options, including roles in research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and finance. Some common job titles for physics graduates include physicist, engineer, data analyst, research scientist, and teacher.

2. Is a physics degree useful for a career in technology?

Yes, a physics degree can be very useful for a career in technology. Physics principles and problem-solving skills are essential for many technology fields, such as computer science, robotics, and materials science. Additionally, many tech companies value the analytical and critical thinking skills that physics majors possess.

3. Can I pursue a career in business with a physics degree?

Absolutely! Many businesses, especially in the technology and finance sectors, value the analytical and problem-solving skills that physics majors possess. Additionally, a physics degree can give you a strong foundation in mathematics and data analysis, which are highly sought after skills in the business world.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in physics?

It depends on your career goals. While a bachelor's degree in physics can lead to many job opportunities, a graduate degree (such as a Master's or PhD) is typically required for higher-level research positions and academic careers. However, some industries may value work experience and skills over graduate degrees.

5. Can I switch career paths with a physics degree?

Yes, a physics degree can open up opportunities in a variety of fields, not just traditional physics-related careers. The analytical and problem-solving skills gained from studying physics can be applied to a wide range of industries, allowing for career flexibility and potential for career changes in the future.