What to Do When Interviewer Asks Wrong Question?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter joberr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, the conversation discusses a technical question that came up during an interview and the solution which was suggested by the interviewer. The person later realized that the solution was incorrect and wonders if there was anything they could have done in that situation. One suggestion is to privately contact the interviewer for clarification. However, the person ultimately decides to move on and not pursue the matter further.
joberr
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was anything I should do.
I recently had an interview where I was being asked technical questions and one particular question came up which actually has a solution which I semi outlined but my interviewer suggested that I should know some theorem which I should look up.
I then came home and looked up the theorem and noticed that it was being applied wrong by the interviewer because if it was applied as suggested one gets an undefined answer (1/0) division by zero. Was there anything I could of done if my interviewer was fishing for an answer which turns out to be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's tough to say based on your limited information. You may want to try privately contacting the interviewer and continuing the discussion- you must be careful not to come across as antagonistic, tho.

One approach is to simply ask for some clarificiation, for example "Dear so-and-so, I thought about your question some more, and I'm not sure I understood what you were asking, because in this application, the result of the theorem gives an undefined result, and here's why. Do you instead mean [...], or [...]?"

whats the point? You get the job back? Simply let things go by, & prepare for your next assignment, whatever it is...

It makes a point only if there is a chance of interview again.

I figured there was nothing I could do, the impression based on an error was the only thing that bothered me . I only have contact for HR not interviewer. Oh well.

who wanted to work for a bunch of idiots anyways? :)

Related to What to Do When Interviewer Asks Wrong Question?

What should I do if the interviewer asks a question that is irrelevant to the job?

If the interviewer asks a question that is not related to the job or your qualifications, you can politely redirect the conversation back to the job requirements and your experience. You can say something like, "That's an interesting question, but I would love to share more about my relevant experience for this position."

How should I respond if the interviewer asks a sensitive or inappropriate question?

If the interviewer asks a question that is sensitive or inappropriate, you can politely decline to answer and explain that the question is not relevant to the job. You can also redirect the conversation back to your qualifications and experience for the position.

What if the interviewer asks a question that I am not prepared for?

If the interviewer asks a question that you are not prepared for, it's important to stay calm and take a moment to think before answering. You can also ask for clarification or ask for some time to think before answering. It's better to take a moment to compose yourself and give a thoughtful answer rather than rushing into a response.

What if the interviewer asks a question that I don't know the answer to?

If the interviewer asks a question that you don't know the answer to, it's important to be honest and transparent. You can say something like, "I'm not sure about that, but I am a quick learner and I am confident that I can quickly pick up the necessary skills for this job."

What should I do if the interviewer keeps asking the wrong questions?

If the interviewer continues to ask irrelevant or inappropriate questions, it's important to remain professional and composed. You can politely redirect the conversation back to the job requirements and your qualifications, or you can ask for a break to gather your thoughts and address the issue with the interviewer later on.