What to do this summer for a future in engineering?

In summary, the speaker is currently a sophomore physics undergraduate and is hoping to pursue engineering or applied physics after college. They are considering working at Fermilab for another summer or taking an internship at a financial firm, which has better pay. They plan on doing an engineering internship the following summer and are undecided on their career path. They are open to exploring finance as well. The speaker explains that they chose to major in physics at the University of Chicago because they enjoy it and received a good financial aid package. They believe that having a variety of experiences will be beneficial and are considering using their programming experience to help with future engineering applications. They also mention the possibility of looking into accelerator physics at UC to bridge the gap between physics and engineering.
student335
Currently I am a sophomore physics undergrad, and I want to do some type of engineering/applied physics work after college. I'm OK with going to grad school for engineering.

The reason I'm not just majoring in electrical or aerospace engineering in college is because I go to UChicago where we don't offer engineering.

Now for this summer I have basically two options:

1) Continue working in the research group at Fermilab I've been working in since spring of freshman year. This is very hands-on work with electrical, programming, and SolidWorks work.

2) Work an internship at a financial firm where I will be a programmer and analyst and then return to the research position for the following school year. This internship has significantly better pay.

Then next summer (the summer after my junior year) I plan to go into an engineering internship that will hopefully lead to a full time position.

Now I know my position isn't the best one to be in, it was caused by my laziness and not being on top of things when it came to looking for engineering roles, but these are my options.

If you were in my position, which would you take?

To be honest I'm not really even set on what I want to do after school. Engineering sounds like what I have enjoyed the most, so that's what I am leaning toward. However, I also want to explore other options such as finance, since I'm not sure how I feel about them.

I just want to know if you guys think that working a programming job at a finance firm is just completely shooting myself in the foot, and leaving myself with no chance of scoring an engineering internship/job in the following year?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think variety of experience is more helpful.

If focus on getting an engineering undergrad degree , if u want to get into engineering. What are you majoring in now at U Chicago?

PhanthomJay said:
If focus on getting an engineering undergrad degree , if u want to get into engineering. What are you majoring in now at U Chicago?
I'm majoring in physics.

We don't have any engineering majors here, so majoring in engineering is not an option.

So why are you going to UC if you want to become an engineer and that is not an option at UC? This does not all make sense.

I don't think that matters for the question at hand. Sure, a different school might be better, but the specific choice regarding the internship is clear: go for the new experience.

@student335 Nobody is going to care that you spend one summer more or less in the same research lab, but having a variety of experiences will give you a broader view of yourself, your career, and the world. You are still figuring out what you want out of life, and this is a very easy way to learn a bit about yourself and the world.

OldEngr63 said:
So why are you going to UC if you want to become an engineer and that is not an option at UC? This does not all make sense.

I really enjoyed physics in high school, and still do today. Even if I went to a school with an engineering program I still would have wanted to major in physics because I enjoy it a lot. I just want to work in something more applied after college, rather than going into a PhD program. I do not think I did something that uncommon.

Also the University of Chicago was close to home, offered me an unbeatable financial aid package and an incredible physics program. It was a clear choice for me. I wasn't going to turn it down because I thought that maybe I would consider a major in engineering.

DaleSpam said:
I don't think that matters for the question at hand. Sure, a different school might be better, but the specific choice regarding the internship is clear: go for the new experience.

@student335 Nobody is going to care that you spend one summer more or less in the same research lab, but having a variety of experiences will give you a broader view of yourself, your career, and the world. You are still figuring out what you want out of life, and this is a very easy way to learn a bit about yourself and the world.

Perfect, that's what I was thinking too.

And I was thinking I could use the programming experience I learn here to somehow help me out in future engineering applications.

student335 said:
I really enjoyed physics in high school, and still do today. Even if I went to a school with an engineering program I still would have wanted to major in physics because I enjoy it a lot. I just want to work in something more applied after college, rather than going into a PhD program. I do not think I did something that uncommon.

Also the University of Chicago was close to home, offered me an unbeatable financial aid package and an incredible physics program. It was a clear choice for me. I wasn't going to turn it down because I thought that maybe I would consider a major in engineering.
Perfect, that's what I was thinking too.

And I was thinking I could use the programming experience I learn here to somehow help me out in future engineering applications.

You might want to look into accelerator physics at UC, accelerator physics is one of those disciplines that bridges the gap between physics and engineering.

Related to What to do this summer for a future in engineering?

1. What types of internships or research opportunities should I pursue to prepare for a career in engineering?

It is recommended to seek out internships or research opportunities in fields related to your desired area of engineering. This will provide hands-on experience and exposure to the industry. Additionally, consider internships or research opportunities with reputable companies or organizations to enhance your resume.

2. Are there any specific certifications or skills I should acquire over the summer to boost my engineering career prospects?

Depending on your specific area of engineering, there may be certain certifications or skills that are highly valued. It is beneficial to research the requirements for the type of engineering you wish to pursue and participate in relevant training or courses over the summer. Examples could include programming languages, CAD software, or project management skills.

3. How can I network with professionals and build connections in the engineering industry over the summer?

Attending networking events, job fairs, and conferences related to engineering is a great way to build connections and meet professionals in the field. You can also reach out to alumni from your school or professionals in your desired industry through LinkedIn or other professional networking platforms.

4. Is it necessary to have an engineering-related summer job or can I focus on other experiences?

While it is beneficial to have a summer job or experience related to engineering, it is not necessary. Other experiences such as volunteering, participating in extracurricular activities, or pursuing a personal project can also showcase important skills and qualities that are valuable in the engineering field.

5. How can I make the most out of my summer to prepare for a future in engineering?

In addition to gaining hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities, it is important to continue learning and developing your skills. This could include taking online courses, participating in workshops or seminars, or even reading articles and books related to engineering. It is also important to maintain a balance and take breaks to relax and rejuvenate for the next academic year.