What to do as a Student to Help your career

In summary, it is important to raise your grades, focus on mastering the concepts in your courses, reduce distractions, and intern if possible.
jamalkoiyess
I thought that posting this in career guidance was better since it is more related.

Anyway, I want to know what is it that I can do as a junior in physics and math to aid myself later. I hope to be able to enter a research career in Cosmology. This is the only field where I feel that my interest will never fade away. It led me into doing physics and it is the reason I am still in physics. (not to say I hate other areas of physics, but this one is way more exciting)

I am currently working in a lab in fluid dynamics and turbulence. I know that It is not related but am acquiring some good skills in coding and statistical mechanics.
However, I did try once to work for the cosmology team back when I was a sophomore but they told me that I was not ready yet. I might re-ask them once I finish the project in my current position.

I try to educate myself on the topic even though it has been hard. I am currently reading "The large-scale structure of Space-Time" by Hawking. It is one of the more accessible books, I am just lacking a bit of topology that I am studying now. It is the first one that I am reading on the subject since that I am just now getting better at abstract mathematics. After this one, higher books will be hopefully accessible.

My GPA is not the best, I do try my best and I am looking for ways to try harder (this was included so that maybe I getting into specific programs might help)

What else can I do or stop doing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you will be starting junior year in the falll. (If you are a senior, there isn’t much time to make corrections.)
The single best thing you can do is:
1) Raise your grades.

Figure out why you are doing poorly and address that.
Make sure you master the concepts and skills in your courses (necessary to accomplish #1).
Reduce distractions, including your outside work on advanced topics and in research labs, if necessary for #1.

2) See #1.

Likes jamalkoiyess
What to do to help career?

Work part time. If not in major field, then it at least helps you with funds. If in your major field, it helps with funds and gives you experience for the major field.

Choose a few practical courses, like vocational, or some engineering, so you learn to become practical, and an improved candidate for jobs later.

Internship if you can get into one. You may want this as useful part of your development.

Likes jamalkoiyess
It's great to have a goal of having a career doing research in cosmology. But it's important to realize that odds are really stacked against you. Like a lot.

I think it's still worth pursuing though. As far as advancing in academia, you probably already know what you need to do. As an undergrad, I don't think you need to worry too much about the type of research that you get involved in, so long as you enjoy it and you're learning something. Get the best grades you can. Make sure to learn the material for the sake of a foundation in physics and not just passing exams. Go to conferences, colloquia, seminars. Read up on the material that interests you.

But you need to have a backup plan for if and when your academic train reaches the end of it's line.

One little exercise is to fast forward the clock a little. Imagine that you've just finished undergrad and for whatever reason you didn't get into graduate school. Now what? What's your plan to support yourself? What skills have you acquired that you can market? What kinds of positions are open to you? You could actually go so far as to conduct a mock job hunt - go through the job boards and decide which positions you would apply to if you had to find a job today.

You can repeat the exercise for having finished the PhD, and not having any academic options.

Now come back to the present. What can you change now to make your employment options better?

Likes jamalkoiyess
Raise your grades and aim for something besides cosmology.

Choppy said:
I think it's still worth pursuing though.
Thank you! That's the first positive feedback I've ever gotten :)

Locrian said:
aim for something besides cosmology.
Why? I know from the upper posts that the employment options are not the best. Is there any other reason?

I was partly being snarky. Not going into cosmology is actually not a great way to get work in cosmology.

But there really are just way more people who want to perform that research than there are positions. So it becomes one of those cases where if you have to ask questions about how to become one, you probably won't end up being one.

But you still might, so do what you've already decided to do.

Likes jamalkoiyess and symbolipoint
Locrian said:
I was partly being snarky. Not going into cosmology is actually not a great way to get work in cosmology.

But there really are just way more people who want to perform that research than there are positions. So it becomes one of those cases where if you have to ask questions about how to become one, you probably won't end up being one.

But you still might, so do what you've already decided to do.

Locrian, the points you raise above beg the question of what other areas of physics research have more positions that are open. If the OP was to remain in physics, which research avenues may well be more promising?

Related to What to do as a Student to Help your career

1. What types of internships or research opportunities should I pursue as a student?

As a student, it is important to pursue internships or research opportunities that align with your career goals and interests. Look for opportunities in your field of study or in related industries to gain hands-on experience and develop valuable skills. Additionally, consider internships or research opportunities with reputable companies or organizations to enhance your resume and network with professionals in your desired field.

2. How can I build a strong network as a student to help my career?

Networking is crucial for career success as a student. Start by reaching out to peers, professors, and professionals in your field of interest. Attend events, conferences, and workshops to meet new people and make connections. Utilize social media platforms like LinkedIn to connect with professionals and join relevant groups. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask for informational interviews or advice.

3. Is it important to have a mentor as a student to help my career?

Having a mentor can be extremely beneficial for your career growth as a student. A mentor can provide valuable guidance, advice, and support based on their own experiences. They can also help you make important decisions and introduce you to new opportunities. Look for mentors in your desired field or through networking events and organizations.

4. How can I balance academics and career development as a student?

Balancing academics and career development can be challenging, but it is essential for long-term success. Prioritize your coursework and make a schedule to allocate time for career-related activities. Look for ways to integrate career development into your academics, such as choosing projects or assignments that align with your career goals. Also, don't forget to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

5. Should I start building my resume and portfolio as a student?

Yes, it is never too early to start building your resume and portfolio as a student. Include any relevant coursework, internships, research projects, and extracurricular activities that showcase your skills and experience. Additionally, consider creating an online portfolio to showcase your work and make it easily accessible to potential employers. Continuously update and tailor your resume and portfolio as you gain more experience and skills.