What supported the singularity during the Big Bang?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the singularity in relation to the Big Bang. The Big Bang Theory is limited in its explanation of what happened prior to one Plank Time after the singularity, and there are various theories about the origins of the universe, none of which have solid evidence to support them. The conversation also suggests reading a forum post for further clarification on the topic.
Bray420
If the Big Bang created space time, what did the singularity of the Big Bang "rest" on?

Likes wabbit
Space news on Phys.org
The "singularity" is just the place where out math model breaks down. It is not a physical place/thing. The Big Bang Theory is silent about what happened earlier than one Plank Time after the singularity, it just described what happened SINCE one Plank Time.

I'm sorry I worded that incorrectly.

Bray420 said:
I'm sorry I worded that incorrectly.
Well, if I did not answer your question, then re-ask it with different wording.

What did the mass that made the Big Bang rest on if their wasn't the fabric of space time?

I'm sorry I have trouble expressing what's in my mind with words sometimes.

Bray420 said:
What did the mass that made the Big Bang rest on if their wasn't the fabric of space time?
Unknown. We have no reliable/testable theory as to anything prior to one Plank Time. There are theories, including that space-time was created at the singularity, that space-time has always existed, that there are multiple universes, take your pick. Since none of them are supported by any evidence, I personally am just agnostic about the whole thing.

Related to What supported the singularity during the Big Bang?

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. What is the singularity?

The singularity is a hypothetical point in space-time where the laws of physics break down. It is believed to have existed at the beginning of the universe and is where the Big Bang is thought to have originated from.

3. How was the Big Bang discovered?

The Big Bang theory was first proposed by Belgian physicist Georges Lemaitre in the 1920s. It was further developed by scientists such as George Gamow, Ralph Alpher, and Robert Herman in the 1940s and 1950s. The discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation in 1964 by Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson provided strong evidence for the Big Bang theory.

4. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

In addition to cosmic microwave background radiation, other evidence for the Big Bang theory includes the abundance of light elements such as hydrogen and helium in the universe, the redshift of galaxies, and the large-scale structure of the universe.

5. What happened before the Big Bang?

The concept of "before" the Big Bang is not well-defined in physics as time and space as we know it did not exist before the singularity. Some theories suggest that the universe may go through cycles of expansion and contraction, with the Big Bang being just one of many cycles. However, there is currently no scientific evidence to support this idea.