What statistics services/platforms do you use that help you in life?

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of a website that provides statistics for video games and explores other similar services that people may find helpful, such as weather forecasting and data. The conversation also mentions how in the past, people used compilation publications for product research, but now online searches and access to archived statistics have made it easier. The conversation also mentions specific online services, such as a website for comparing judges and websites for tracking smoke, fire, wind, temperatures, air quality, political polls, sports probabilities, Covid distributions, and pollen levels.
random_soldier
I encountered a website with statistics for a large number of video games, specifically regarding their availability across various platforms, their sales over time and some other things and methods to visualize them I found this really helpful. Might there be other services like this that people find helpful, other than obvious ones like weather forecasting and data?

Physics news on Phys.org
Back in the day before widespread internet we often used compilation publications to research products for home and business. The magazine "Consumer Reports" provided testing results, similar product comparisons and purchase recommendations based on price, durability, efficiency and other factors using tables, lists and diagrams. Similar trade journals would address and compare new vehicle models to aid buyers and generally inform readers of the latest gadgets and modifications.

Now online, searches and accessing archived statistics are greatly simplified. For a non-physical example I recently used an online service provided by my state comparing judges using various criteria including peer reviews and evaluations of case work and judicial decisions. My 2020 ballot included choosing 60+ (nonpartisan) judges up for election. The judicial website provided background and context to the names on the ballot. Along with other sources including local newspaper archives, I was able to make informed decisions.

• Informative
Likes random_soldier and BillTre
Cool! Could you give names of these online services, if possible?

This year, I have been using websites:
  • that show smoke/fire/wind/open roads/temperatures/air healthiness distributions on maps.
  • FiveThirtyEight for political poll aggregation/sports probabilities
  • a variety of maps showing Covid distributions
  • pollen levels

• Informative
Likes random_soldier

What are some of the most commonly used statistics services/platforms in daily life?

Some of the most commonly used statistics services/platforms in daily life include Google Analytics, Excel, SPSS, SAS, and R. These platforms are widely used for data analysis and reporting in various fields, including business, healthcare, and social sciences.

How can statistics services/platforms be helpful in decision-making?

Statistics services/platforms can provide valuable insights and information that can aid in decision-making. By analyzing data and identifying patterns and trends, these services can help individuals and organizations make informed decisions that are backed by data.

Can statistics services/platforms be used to predict future outcomes?

Yes, statistics services/platforms can be used for predictive analytics, which involves using historical data to make predictions about future outcomes. This can be particularly useful in fields such as finance, marketing, and sports.

Are there any free statistics services/platforms available?

Yes, there are several free statistics services/platforms available, such as Google Analytics, R Studio, and Excel. These platforms offer basic statistical analysis features and are suitable for individuals and small organizations with limited data analysis needs.

How can one choose the right statistics service/platform for their needs?

The right statistics service/platform will depend on the specific needs and goals of the individual or organization. Factors such as the type and volume of data, level of technical expertise, and budget should be considered when choosing a statistics service/platform.