What state of matter are atomic particles in (protons, neutrons, ect.)

In summary: However, this is still a very simplified explanation and there is much more to it.In summary, the concept of "state of matter" does not apply to individual atomic particles, as it is their interactions with each other that determine what state they are in. The idea of virtual particles is a well-defined concept in science and cannot be used interchangeably with the properties of protons, neutrons, and electrons. The existence of virtual particles is a complex topic that involves understanding Quantum Field Theory. Protons themselves cannot form bose-einstein condensates, but atoms as a whole can exhibit this behavior.
fishstix95
What state of matter are atomic particles be in? A friend of mine suggested they might be virtual particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
fishstix95 said:
What state of matter are atomic particles be in? A friend of mine suggested they might be virtual particles.

Protons and neutrons? They are certainly not virtual, they are very real. Not sure what you mean by state of matter; if you are thinking along the lines of solid, liquid, gas, plasma, bose-einstein condensate, etc, then sorry, but unfortunately these concepts don't really make sense on an atomic scale. They are macroscopic things; even talking about a bose-einstein condensate doesn't make too much sense without a few hundred (thousand?) atoms involved.

I don't think single particles can be considered to be in a "state" of matter. It is how they interact with each other that determines what state they are in.

Drakkith said:
I don't think single particles can be considered to be in a "state" of matter. It is how they interact with each other that determines what state they are in.

Interesting hypothesis. I was thinking that pehaps the proton or electron is simply electric energy that joins up together. Not sure about the neutron. When I say virtual I mean could protons, neutrons, and electrons pop into existence and many of them act together to make some substance (a solid, liquid, or gas). Thank you both for your imput. Any more information is welcome as I will continue to research this matter.

fishstix95 said:
Interesting hypothesis. I was thinking that pehaps the proton or electron is simply electric energy that joins up together. Not sure about the neutron.

Protons, neutrons, and electrons are subatomic particles that have certain properties such as charge, mass, spin, etc. They are not electric energy. Remember, energy is the ability to perform work.

When I say virtual I mean could protons, neutrons, and electrons pop into existence and many of them act together to make some substance (a solid, liquid, or gas). Thank you both for your imput. Any more information is welcome as I will continue to research this matter.

No, virtual particles have a specific definition that is used in science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particle

Could QCD have any part in this. Could the strong force govern how virtual particles come into existence? Also how could a proton be a bose-einstien codenstate if the particle interacts with others and has mass. I understand that it has spin and charge. I'm still in school so keep it simple.

fishstix95 said:
Could QCD have any part in this. Could the strong force govern how virtual particles come into existence?

Instead of asking IF the strong force governs virtual particles, instead ask HOW they come into existence. The answer to that is very complicated and involves an understanding of the way Quantum Field Theory works. I honestly don't even understand it myself.

Also how could a proton be a bose-einstien codenstate if the particle interacts with others and has mass. I understand that it has spin and charge. I'm still in school so keep it simple.

Protons by themselves cannot form bose-einstein condensates, as a proton is a Fermion and cannot occupy the same state. Pairing protons up in the nucleus of an atom can result in the atom itself as a whole acting like a bose-einstein condensate, as the spins of the protons and neutrons can all cancel out to make the atom spin 0 as a whole, making it a boson.

Related to What state of matter are atomic particles in (protons, neutrons, ect.)

What is the state of matter of atomic particles?

The state of matter of atomic particles depends on the temperature and pressure of the environment they are in. At room temperature and pressure, protons and neutrons are in a solid state, while electrons are in a gaseous state.

Can atomic particles exist in different states of matter?

Yes, atomic particles can exist in different states of matter depending on the conditions they are in. For example, at extremely high temperatures and pressures, protons and neutrons can exist in a plasma state, while at extremely low temperatures, electrons can exist in a solid state.

What determines the state of matter of atomic particles?

The state of matter of atomic particles is determined by the balance between the attractive forces (such as gravity or electromagnetic interactions) and the thermal energy of the particles.

What is the difference between the states of matter of atomic particles?

The main difference between the states of matter of atomic particles is their physical properties. In a solid state, particles are tightly packed and have a fixed shape and volume. In a liquid state, particles are still close together but can move and take the shape of their container. In a gaseous state, particles are far apart and have no fixed shape or volume.

Can atomic particles change states of matter?

Yes, atomic particles can change states of matter by changing the temperature or pressure of their environment. For example, when heated, a solid substance can melt and turn into a liquid, and when further heated, it can turn into a gas.