What Speed Makes a Pendulum Oscillate Most in a Moving Train?

In summary: The clickety-clack sound of a train on a railroad track is caused by the friction between the train's wheels and the rails. The sound is most noticeable when the train is moving slowly and the wheel surfaces are in direct contact with the rail.
Jordan&physics
Mentor Note -- thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Tempate is shown...>>
1. (10 points) A pendulum of length l = 39 cm is suspended in a railway car. At what train speed would the pendulum be oscillating with largest amplitude ? The length of the rails is l = 25 m.

I am just not sure what the question is asking :-/ Why would the pendulum oscillate if the train was moving at a constant velocity? It doesn't specify an acceleration, and I don't know what they mean by specifying the "length of rails." Please, I am really lost on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jordan&physics said:
1. (10 points) A pendulum of length l = 39 cm is suspended in a railway car. At what train speed would the pendulum be oscillating with largest amplitude ? The length of the rails is l = 25 m.

I am just not sure what the question is asking :-/ Why would the pendulum oscillate if the train was moving at a constant velocity? It doesn't specify an acceleration, and I don't know what they mean by specifying the "length of rails." Please, I am really lost on this one.
Yeah, based on what you posted, this question makes no sense IMO. Can you scan the problem so we can see if there is additional info?

I actually copied and pasted it directly from the problem set. There was absolutely no more information given.

Yikes, can you e-mail a TA or prof for clarification?

Could this be a model train, flying round and round on a circular track, circumference 25m?

Could be that the finite rail lengths are intended to be responsible for a "clickety-clack" that slightly jounces the train carriage at regular intervals. A tuned system like a pendulum would be sensitive to particular frequencies...

gneill said:
Could be that the finite rail lengths are intended to be responsible for a "clickety-clack" that slightly jounces the train carriage at regular intervals. A tuned system like a pendulum would be sensitive to particular frequencies...
http://www.infovisual.info/05/img_en/046%20Railroad%20track.jpg
Listen the clickety-clack sound

Related to What Speed Makes a Pendulum Oscillate Most in a Moving Train?

What is oscillation speed?

Oscillation speed refers to the rate at which an object or system moves back and forth between two points. It is a measure of how quickly the object completes one full cycle of its oscillation.

What factors affect oscillation speed?

The factors that affect oscillation speed include the mass of the object, the stiffness of the system, and any external forces acting on the object. These factors can increase or decrease the speed at which the object oscillates.

How is oscillation speed measured?

Oscillation speed is typically measured in terms of frequency, which is the number of cycles the object completes in one second. It can also be measured in terms of period, which is the time it takes for the object to complete one full cycle of oscillation.

How does oscillation speed relate to amplitude?

Oscillation speed and amplitude are not directly related. The amplitude of an oscillating object refers to the maximum displacement from its equilibrium position, while oscillation speed refers to the rate at which it moves back and forth. However, a higher amplitude can result in a higher oscillation speed due to the increased energy in the system.

Why is understanding oscillation speed important?

Understanding oscillation speed is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and electronics. It allows us to predict the behavior of oscillating systems and design them for specific purposes, such as in clocks, vehicles, and electronic circuits.