What should I study of Aerospace Engineer and applied physics

In summary: Thank you for your time.In summary, a PhD in Aerospace engineering is not advisable because it only limits your skill set. A Master in Applied Physics is better because it gives you more skills and is easier to find a job.
Willelm
[[Moderators note: several similar threads have been merged]]

I want to work in the aerospace Industry as someone important and successful, like the administrator of NASA. As I'm 15 years old I'm thinking about my future careers and after a long while, I know that I want to study more than 1 career. What do you think is best, a PhD in Applied Physics and a Master in Aerospace engineering, or a PhD in Aerospace engineering and a Master in Applied Physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You got some very good advice two days ago (back when you were 17), for example:

Alcathous said:
I agree with others who say to focus on the next one or two years

That advice is as good today as it was then.

Likes Hoophy and Ben Espen
Vanadium 5post: 5207055 said:
You got some very good advice two days ago (back when you were 17), for example:
That advice is as good today as it was then.
Yap I know, but in this case I'm not defining this as about my skills and age, but about the future prospect of that, what is better and all of that. And what selection is better for the Space Industry and more well paid. Thanks for your anwsers.

I had read in many posts that maybe is better a master than a PhD, but mainly it depends in the career. So, the question is that, with a PhD in Aerospace engineering you earn more money than with a Master, and if yes, how much more? Becouse if not, maybe I think is better to study a Master in Aerospace engineering and then a PhD in Applied Physics. Thanks for your anwsers. I'm very good at logic.

A PhD is an academic degree. In academics new technologies and engineering techniques are developed. But universities don't design planes. If you want to work as some research institute that develops new technologies or does fundamental research into engineering principles, linking the academic world of applied physics with the engineering world of industry MSc, then maybe you should get a PhD in Aero Eng. Say you want to work at the JPL or at ESA or at a university.If you are going to build airplanes in industry, something you can only learn inside said company, why do you need a PhD in applied physics?

Earn more money? Oh, do not open that Pandora's box.
If you want to make as much money as possible, don't go into STEM.

Willelm said:
I had read in many posts that maybe (it) is better (to achieve) a master than a PhD, but mainly it depends in the career.
From what I have herd from professionals in that area of science, Aerospace is a very narrow field area. It is a hard area of science to get into as there is a high demand but not enough jobs to fill. For this reason a masters degree is very useful in giving you that extra qualification. However most people assume that with a PhD in Aerospace, it will be easier to find a job as you would have even more qualifications; however this is not the case in the Aerospace industry. Since Aerospace is such a narrow field, a PhD is not advisable because it only limits your skill set even more and actually makes it even more difficult to find a job at the end of the day.

You need to make up your mind about if you are an engineer or a scientist. You earn your MSc in that field. Then you get a PhD position to appeals to you the most, at that point. It will be clearer what kinds of problems you'll want to work on at that point.

You can probably get the same job anyway, MSc or PhD, when it comes to AeroEng.

Okay
Dr.Physics said:
From what I have herd from professionals in that area of science, Aerospace is a very narrow field area. It is a hard area of science to get into as there is a high demand but not enough jobs to fill. For this reason a masters degree is very useful in giving you that extra qualification. However most people assume that with a PhD in Aerospace, it will be easier to find a job as you would have even more qualifications; however this is not the case in the Aerospace industry. Since Aerospace is such a narrow field, a PhD is not advisable because it only limits your skill set even more and actually makes it even more difficult to find a job at the end of the day.
Ok thanks for your anwsers. This means that a PhD in Aerospace engineering is not advisable so then, I'm talking about earn with the master of this field, a PhD in Applied Physics. Is Applied Physics also good to work in the Aerospace Industry? Would be better a Computing+Mathematics PhD?

Not advisable for what? For earnings?

There's many different problems that need to be solved both scientifically and engineering-wise. Some are general, others are niche.

If all you know now is that you want to work in the aerospace industry, then AeroEng is the way to go. If you want to do research in that field, you can always get a PhD in that area. Otherwise, you can get an industry job with an MSc.

There's people scientists in (applied) physics that are needed in the research that is associated with aerospace. Computing or mathematics, even more niche, in areospace.

If you want the biggest salary, running a hedge-fund or selling the company you created are the ways to go. Maybe think about a law or (quant.) economics degree in that case.

What's better to work into the Aerospace Industry, study Applied Physics or Mathematics+Computing Sciences?, all those at a graduate level (you know, PhD). And if you can, please tell me what is more well-paid. As always thanks for your anwsers.

Let's put pay aside for a minute.

What do you mean by "better"? Job stability? Working conditions? Interesting work (whatever that might mean)?

Willelm, you ask the same question over and over and over and over. It's disrespectful. It's also unlikely that the answer will change after one day. You are either 15 or 17 - you seem to oscillate between the two - so it's way premature to worry about your exact path through graduate school. You need to be focusing on the tasks at hand.

Vanadium 50 said:
Willelm, you ask the same question over and over and over and over. It's disrespectful. It's also unlikely that the answer will change after one day. You are either 15 or 17 - you seem to oscillate between the two - so it's way premature to worry about your exact path through graduate school. You need to be focusing on the tasks at hand.
Sorry. I didin't want anyone to be angry with me. Also there is a problem, I'm spanish and some answers are difficult to me. But Ok, I know that the answer will change, but I only want to know what career of them is more well-paid. An nowadays anyone had answer me. Is not a subjective question. I don't care about if at the end, at 20 years or like that I will choose the worst career and worst paid. I Only want to know what career of them has more future in the next 20 years and, today, what is more well paid and related to the space Industry. Thanks.

Most people here will assume you are American if you do not mention your country. Different countries have different industry focus.

Boeing and Airbus are the two major aerospace companies. Does Airbus have plants in Spain? Or are you willing to move to France (meaning you learn to speak Fluent French). How easy and convenient it is to get a job differs a lot depending on things like this.

I don't know a lot about Spanish industry, and it may not matter if you are willing to move all around Europe and learn either French or German alongside English. But when I think of Spanish high tech I think about solar energy or telecom.
Maybe they actually have a lot of smaller companies that work for Airbus, ESA, BAE, I don't know.Well paid? You think highly educated people with jobs go hungry? Or do you think they will have 5 houses by age 40?

Anyway, you only get high pay as an employee when you are in charge of a lot of people/a lot of budget. So everyone wants that position. And once you get said job, many people find out they don't like the pressure and responsibility that comes with it.

Ok, thanks for all. Only tell that I would want to work in USA because there is where STEM is more developed. That's why I like people asume I'm American (Yem, I'm a little bit antinathionalist)

Related to What should I study of Aerospace Engineer and applied physics

1. What is the difference between Aerospace Engineering and Applied Physics?

Aerospace Engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves applying principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create and improve flying machines. On the other hand, Applied Physics is a branch of physics that applies the theories and principles of physics to solve practical problems in various fields, including aerospace. While Aerospace Engineering has a more specific focus on aircraft and spacecraft, Applied Physics has a broader scope and can be applied to various industries.

2. What are the key skills required for studying Aerospace Engineering and Applied Physics?

Some of the key skills required for studying Aerospace Engineering and Applied Physics include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and a strong understanding of physics principles. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are essential for both fields as they often involve working in multidisciplinary teams.

3. What are the career opportunities for graduates in Aerospace Engineering and Applied Physics?

Graduates in Aerospace Engineering and Applied Physics have various career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, aviation, electronics, energy, and research and development. They can work as aerospace engineers, applied physicists, research scientists, project managers, consultants, and more.

4. How do Aerospace Engineering and Applied Physics overlap?

Aerospace Engineering and Applied Physics overlap in the application of physics principles to solve problems related to aircraft and spacecraft design and development. Both fields also use similar mathematical and analytical tools and techniques. However, Aerospace Engineering has a more practical and hands-on approach, while Applied Physics focuses more on theoretical and experimental research.

5. What are some important considerations when choosing between Aerospace Engineering and Applied Physics?

When choosing between Aerospace Engineering and Applied Physics, it is essential to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you are passionate about aircraft and spacecraft and enjoy hands-on problem-solving, Aerospace Engineering may be the right choice for you. On the other hand, if you have a strong interest in physics and prefer theoretical and research-based work, Applied Physics may be a better fit. It is also important to research the curriculum and job opportunities available in each field to make an informed decision.