What should I do with my life?

• Thread starter Sarah1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the individual is a junior physics and math major considering an honors degree. They have research experience in particle physics and materials science/biophysics and are about to start research in an applied science lab. They also have interests in writing, neuroscience, and nonprofit work. They are worried about their unfocused interests and unsure about their future plans, as research does not interest them and graduate school had always been their plan. They are seeking advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation. The expert suggests seeking a different type of internship over the summer and not being afraid to change their mind. They also mention their own experience of only doing research during their undergraduate and wishing they had pursued internships in industry.
Sarah1994
I know, the most dramatic and trite question.

I am currently a junior physics and math major. Physics is my primary major, and I am considering an honors degree. I have to write a senior thesis, so I have been research-shopping: I dabbled in particle physics (computational data analysis of the size of the proton) and, on the other side of the spectrum, I did an physics REU in materials science/biophysics (the rheology of nanoparticle and lipid thin films). I am about to start research for an applied science lab that works with AFM and spider silk.

I also love writing, neuroscience, and nonprofit work.

I feel like my interests are too unfocused and I am worried about what to do after college (and what I will be able to do). I don't think research interests me, and since grad school had always been my plan, that concerns me. I know a stranger can't read my mind and tell me what to do with my life, but if anyone has been in nearly the same situation that I'm in, could you tell me how you got to where you are now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sarah1994 said:
I don't think research interests me, and since grad school had always been my plan, that concerns me.

Research is a big part of graduate school.

Anyways, it's okay to you change your mind. I posted threads like yours too. Also, I changed my mind several times during undergraduate. To me, it sounds like you have very good research experience. Why don't you try to seek a different type of internship over the summer? One pertaining to neuroscience or something you think you will enjoy?

I spent my entire undergraduate only doing research, I do wish I took more initiative to get internships from some type of industry.

Related to What should I do with my life?

1. What career path should I choose?

Choosing a career path can be a daunting task, but the first step is to identify your interests, skills, and values. Take some time to reflect on what you are passionate about and what you excel at. This will help guide you towards a career that aligns with your strengths and values.

2. How do I balance my personal and professional life?

Balancing personal and professional life is a common concern for many individuals. It's important to set boundaries and prioritize your time. Make sure to schedule time for self-care and activities that bring you joy outside of work. Also, communicate your needs with your employer and ask for support when needed.

3. Is it too late to change careers?

It is never too late to change careers. People often have multiple careers throughout their lifetime. It's important to assess your skills and passions and explore opportunities that align with your interests. Additionally, consider gaining new skills through education or training programs to make a smooth transition into a new career.

4. How do I find my purpose in life?

Finding your purpose in life can be a challenging and ongoing process. Reflect on your values, passions, and strengths to gain a better understanding of what brings you fulfillment. Also, try new experiences and activities to discover new interests and passions.

5. What should I do if I'm feeling stuck in my current job?

If you're feeling stuck in your current job, it's important to assess the reasons why. Are you lacking growth opportunities? Are you not passionate about the work? Once you identify the root cause, consider talking to your supervisor about potential solutions or exploring new job opportunities that align with your goals and interests.