What should I do to specialize in material analysis techniques as a career option?

In summary: This is one of the skills that is transferable to most engineering disciplines.In summary, based on what the posters said, you should focus on obtaining a degree in materials science and engineering. This will give you a strong foundation in physics, calculus, and engineering concepts. You can then specialize in the field of your choice.
MOKHTAR
Summary:: What should I do to specialize in material analysis techniques as a career option?

What should I do to specialize in material analysis techniques as a career option?

Physics news on Phys.org
MOKHTAR said:
Summary:: What should I do to specialize in material analysis techniques as a career option?
Your Profile page says that you are still in high school, is that correct? How close are you to applying to undergraduate universities? Can you say which universities you are considering?

Will you have taken calculus by the time you graduate from high school? It sound like Material Science / Engineering is the major that you will want to pursue...

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-doctorate-materials

1588777014108.png

Likes jrmichler and Chestermiller
Other options are Chemical Engineering and Materials Engineering.

What the above posters said. If you choose an engineering field, the first two years are mostly calculus, physics, statics, and dynamics. These courses are common to all engineering fields. You can change from one branch of engineering to another with minimal loss of credits after the first two years.

I started college in electrical engineering, then changed to mechanical engineering after two years, and 74 credits. I was still able to graduate in four years (eight semesters), although I think I lost one course.

• Informative
Likes Chestermiller and berkeman
It may not be applicable now, but my father got a masters in Organic Chemistry from University of Michigan in 1948 or so, but ended up doing materials science in plastics and ceramics. He ended up being worldwide director of materials labs for IBM in the 1960s. I suspect career paths today are not as fluid as in the past.

[edit: I note from link by @berkeman that U of M is still #5 in US for materials.]

Likes berkeman
PAllen said:
It may not be applicable now, but my father got a masters in Organic Chemistry from University of Michigan in 1948 or so, but ended up doing materials science in plastics and ceramics. He ended up being worldwide director of materials labs for IBM in the 1960s. I suspect career paths today are not as fluid as in the past.
Back in 1948, materials science and engineering was in general not a recognized, independent program of study.

MOKHTAR said:
You don't say what country you are in. In the US, many major universities have departments designated as "materials science and engineering (MS&E)". That would be the place to start. But "materials analysis" covers a wide range of topics. Materials analysis is highly interdisciplinary. Depending on your interests, you can also enter the field via other majors, including physics, chemistry, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and bioengineering.

In my own career route, I majored in physics (bachelors, masters, and PhD) with electives (undergrad and grad) in MS&E. My PhD advisor got his degrees in chemistry, but was a faculty member with joint appointments in physics and MS&E.

ETA: A lot depends on whether for you materials analysis is an end in itself (i.e., your goal is a career in a materials analysis lab) or a means to an end (i.e., materials analysis is one set of tools in a larger R&D or engineering program).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
Get good at polishing things.

Related to What should I do to specialize in material analysis techniques as a career option?

1. What educational background is required for a career in material analysis techniques?

The minimum educational requirement for a career in material analysis techniques is a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as chemistry, physics, materials science, or engineering. However, many employers prefer candidates with advanced degrees such as a Master's or Ph.D. in a specialized area of material analysis.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in material analysis techniques?

To excel in a career in material analysis techniques, one must possess strong technical skills in areas such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and analytical chemistry. Additionally, attention to detail, critical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to work independently are essential for success in this field.

3. What type of work environment can I expect in a career in material analysis techniques?

Material analysis techniques are used in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, semiconductors, construction, and aerospace. As a result, you can expect to work in a laboratory or manufacturing setting, depending on your specific role and industry. You may also have the opportunity to collaborate with other scientists and engineers on projects.

4. How can I gain experience in material analysis techniques?

One way to gain experience in material analysis techniques is through internships or co-op programs during your undergraduate or graduate studies. You can also seek out research opportunities with professors or participate in scientific conferences and workshops to learn about the latest techniques and technologies in the field.

5. What are the career prospects for material analysis techniques?

The demand for material analysis techniques is expected to continue to grow as industries increasingly rely on these techniques to improve product quality and develop new materials. With the right education and skills, you can pursue a career as a materials scientist, research scientist, or analytical chemist in a variety of industries or research institutions.