What Resistor Value Is Needed to Power a 1.4W, 4.0V Bulb with a 9.0V Battery?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the value of a resistor needed to light a flashlight bulb at its rated voltage and power, using a 9.0V battery. The solution involves using Kirchhoff's rules for potential differences and utilizing the fact that the flashlight will only take 4.0V, leaving 5.0V to be used on the resistor. The final answer should be expressed using two significant figures.
alwaysdazed

Homework Statement

A flashlight bulb rated at 1.4W and 4.0V is operated by a 9.0V battery. To light the bulb at its rated voltage and power, a resistor is connected in series as shown in the figure. ( i don't know how to paste the picture but its only a resistor and then light bulb in series with a 9v battery attached)

What value should the resistor have?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

P=IV
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when resistors are in series the current is equal throughout.. so i used P=IV to solve for current, then pluggled that into V=IR using to find R but that is obviously wrong i am going crazy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi alwaysdazed! Welcome to PF! :smile:
alwaysdazed said:
A flashlight bulb rated at 1.4W and 4.0V is operated by a 9.0V battery. To light the bulb at its rated voltage and power, a resistor is connected in series as shown in the figure. ( i don't know how to paste the picture but its only a resistor and then light bulb in series with a 9v battery attached)

What value should the resistor have?

Hint: the flashlight will only take 4.0V …

so you need to use up 5.0V on the reisistor.

use Kirchhoff's rules for potential differences. :wink:

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems in a systematic and logical manner. In this scenario, the first step would be to identify the known quantities and the unknown quantity. In this case, the known quantities are the power rating of the bulb (1.4W), the voltage rating of the bulb (4.0V), and the voltage of the battery (9.0V). The unknown quantity is the value of the resistor (R).

Next, we can use the equations P=IV and V=IR to solve for the unknown quantity. Since we are trying to find the value of the resistor, we can rearrange the equations to solve for R. Using the power equation, we can solve for current (I) by dividing both sides by voltage (V), giving us I = P/V. Then, using the voltage equation, we can substitute in the values we know and solve for R. The equation would look like this: R = V/I = (9.0V)/(1.4W/4.0V) = 25.7 Ω.

Therefore, the value of the resistor should be approximately 25.7 Ω in order to light the bulb at its rated voltage and power. It is important to note that this answer is only an approximation, as the actual value of the resistor may vary slightly due to factors such as the internal resistance of the battery and the tolerance of the resistor.

Related to What Resistor Value Is Needed to Power a 1.4W, 4.0V Bulb with a 9.0V Battery?

1. How do you determine the value of a resistor?

The value of a resistor can be determined by reading the color bands on the resistor. Each color represents a number, and by using a color code chart, you can find the corresponding value. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance directly.

2. Can you determine the value of a resistor without using a color code chart or multimeter?

Yes, you can also use a digital ohmmeter or a resistor value calculator app to determine the value of a resistor. These tools provide a more accurate and efficient way to determine the value of a resistor.

3. Why is it important to know the value of a resistor?

Resistors are essential components in electronic circuits, and their value determines the flow of current in the circuit. Knowing the value of a resistor is crucial for designing and troubleshooting circuits to ensure proper functioning.

4. What factors affect the value of a resistor?

The value of a resistor is primarily determined by its physical dimensions and the material used to make it. Other factors that may affect its value include temperature, frequency, and voltage.

5. Can the value of a resistor change over time?

Yes, the value of a resistor can change over time due to factors such as temperature, humidity, and aging. It is essential to choose resistors with appropriate tolerances and ratings to ensure their value remains stable over the lifespan of the circuit.