What programs do researchers use to make their publications?

In summary, LaTeX is most commonly used in academic publishing, with MSWord, MSExcel, and Powerpoint also used. Custom tools are sometimes used, and OpenOffice and Scidavis are popular for less serious work.
Lagraaaange
As far as the typing, data analysis, graphing, etc

Physics news on Phys.org
It will depend very much on what the journal they hope to publish in uses.

Lots of academics will use TeX, or variations such as LaTeX.

https://www.tug.org/begin.html
http://www.latex-project.org/

You should hunt around on the net and find the version and variation that most closely satisfies your needs. The big reason academics gravitate towards it is that it is "free." They view their grad student's time as being an infinitely malleable cost-free resource. So if it takes a few hours, or days or weeks, to get LaTeX working just perfectly, they don't mind at all. Grad students do not have lives outside the lab.

Other things people use will be fairly mundane. In our office we are pretty much MSOffice bound. This is because our clients are mostly MSOffice bound. I use MS Word but hate it. I use MS Excel and find it has some good things and some things that chap my behind. I use Powerpoint, but find it usually sucks every drop of moisture out of a presentation.

Lots of people use Matlab and various other tools of that nature.

For more serious work, there will be custom tools.

Likes Dishsoap
You publish exported Excel graphs?

Alcathous said:
You publish exported Excel graphs?

In place of "publish" insert "send to the client." In my line of work there isn't much publishing going on.

But, yes. Copy-paste into an MSWord file, and off to the client it goes. There are some places you have to do some hand-nudging. Some things mess up fairly predictably when you do this. But that's what we do.

Well, he didn't ask about that.

Alcathous said:
Well, he didn't ask about that.

Actually, he didn't ask about anything. He didn't actually ask any questions at all. He was too lazy to put the question in the body of his post.

However, I routinely send documents to the national regulator. I'm going to count that as a "publication."

Typing: LaTeX
Data analysis: ROOT C/C++ custom scripts. Fortran model code. A bit of perl, a bit of python, a bit of Mathematica.
Graphing: For a publication, ROOT and gnuplot. But sometimes also matplotlib (python) and a bit of Mathematica.

ETA: This is me personally. Other people will use totally different things. You use the right tool for the job.

For many years we used Gnuplot exclusively, but we needed something simpler for younger, less experienced co-authors, so we've gravitated toward graph.exe.

We do a lot of analysis in the OpenOffice spreadsheet, Calc, I think. Some of the graphs are done in there, a few co-authors have learned to customize and make things really nice.

There's a program called Scidavis that is easier to use than Gnuplot, but also gives the parameter uncertainties for least squares fitting.

We roll our own Fourier analysis code.

SPSS, MATLAB, R, but you'll see a TON of GraphPad Prism. It is very easy to use and is pretty much written by scientists for scientists.

Related to What programs do researchers use to make their publications?

1. What are some commonly used programs for making publications in research?

Some commonly used programs for making publications in research include Microsoft Word, LaTeX, Adobe InDesign, and Google Docs.

2. Which program is the best for creating high-quality scientific publications?

The best program for creating high-quality scientific publications depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the publication. However, many researchers prefer LaTeX for its advanced typesetting capabilities and professional look.

3. Can I use free software to make my research publications?

Yes, there are several free software options available for creating research publications, such as Google Docs and Overleaf. However, some researchers may prefer paid programs for their additional features and capabilities.

4. Are there specific programs used for different types of publications in research?

Yes, there are often specific programs used for different types of publications in research. For example, Adobe InDesign is commonly used for designing posters and presentations, while Microsoft Word is often used for writing journal articles.

5. Do researchers use the same programs for both writing and designing their publications?

Not necessarily. Some researchers may use separate programs for writing and designing, while others may use one program for both tasks. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the publication.