What profession or job will most be in demand

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation discusses the most in-demand professions and jobs in 2012 and the next 5 years. The speaker mentions the need for statisticians to make sense of large amounts of data and also discusses the potential opportunities that may arise in a struggling economy. The importance of paying attention to current trends and listening to a variety of opinions is emphasized, with the mention of Gerald Celente as an example. The conversation ends with a reminder to make one's own informed decisions based on observation and analysis.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hello everyone.

What I would like to do is ask the wider Physics Forums community what you would think is a profession or job is most in demand as we speak in 2012. Please don't restrict yourself to technical positions or a science/technology positions -- I'm thinking of any job out there.

I would also like to as the wider Physics Forums community what you would anticipate to be a profession or job that would be most in demand within the next 5 years. Now I fully understand the pitfalls of speculating on future demand, and any such speculation is likely to be inaccurate, but I would nonetheless like to hear any speculation or guesses coming from the community.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey StatGuy2000.

In terms of technical positions, we have tonnes of data and not enough people to help make sense of it. This lends itself to statisticians.

The other thing to think about is if the economy (I'm assuming US) continues to get worse: even in times of despair, opportunities arise. If things get bad, then some occupations will be better considered than others.

Ultimately to answer a question like that, you want to see what the trends are and make up your own mind. Gerald Celente is a guy that's been doing this for a long time, and has a magazine devoted to this kind of analysis.

http://www.trendsresearch.com/index.php

You make up your own mind of course, but ultimately the answer to your question will be for you to decide what the real trends are and then to think about the opportunities and put your money with your mouth is when you're ready.

It's really hard to know what is going to happen and lots of people will tell you a lot of BS especially for this kind of question (people run businesses devoted to giving this kind of advice, and the good ones can charge quite a lot), so ultimately the best advice I can give to you is to start paying attention to what is going on.

Read widely, listen to people that you may not normally listen to, and pay attention to what all different kinds of people with different experience and expertise have to say even if they are odds with one another (which you can guarantee, they will be at some point: nothing at all wrong with that).

After a while, you can make up your own mind based on what you are seeing happen around you yourself and what people are saying.

Just remember as well that sometimes the important information is not always the one that initially makes the most sense: typically the opportunities are going to be the ones that require a different kind of outlook and the capacity to consider it even at the smallest level no matter how strange it might seem initially.

chiro said:
Hey StatGuy2000.

In terms of technical positions, we have tonnes of data and not enough people to help make sense of it. This lends itself to statisticians.

The other thing to think about is if the economy (I'm assuming US) continues to get worse: even in times of despair, opportunities arise. If things get bad, then some occupations will be better considered than others.

Ultimately to answer a question like that, you want to see what the trends are and make up your own mind. Gerald Celente is a guy that's been doing this for a long time, and has a magazine devoted to this kind of analysis.

http://www.trendsresearch.com/index.php

You make up your own mind of course, but ultimately the answer to your question will be for you to decide what the real trends are and then to think about the opportunities and put your money with your mouth is when you're ready.

It's really hard to know what is going to happen and lots of people will tell you a lot of BS especially for this kind of question (people run businesses devoted to giving this kind of advice, and the good ones can charge quite a lot), so ultimately the best advice I can give to you is to start paying attention to what is going on.

Read widely, listen to people that you may not normally listen to, and pay attention to what all different kinds of people with different experience and expertise have to say even if they are odds with one another (which you can guarantee, they will be at some point: nothing at all wrong with that).

After a while, you can make up your own mind based on what you are seeing happen around you yourself and what people are saying.

Just remember as well that sometimes the important information is not always the one that initially makes the most sense: typically the opportunities are going to be the ones that require a different kind of outlook and the capacity to consider it even at the smallest level no matter how strange it might seem initially.

Thank you for your insights (please note that I posed this question out of curiosity rather than out of professional interest).

On a side note, I had a chance to check out the link on Gerald Celeste, and frankly I am skeptical of his actual abilities on accurately forecasting trends. While the "successes" highlighted in the website seems impressive, one has to question how much of this is due to a selection effect, where predictions are simply forgotten or not mentioned.

The important thing is for you to pay attention and then decide where you will go from there.

I like what Mr Celente does, but you may have a different viewpoint and that's OK: the main thing is though that if you want to see what might happen, it's important to connect up what is happening now and this means looking at what is going on in the world and listening to what lots of people are saying and thinking even if you may not initially think it's worth listening to.

It's not going to be easy but I figure that if you want to do this thing then at least you can look at someone like Mr Celente and see the kinds of things that a forecaster would look at.

I believe that the profession or job that will be most in demand in the coming years will be those related to technology, data analysis, and artificial intelligence. With the rapid growth of technology and the increasing reliance on data in all industries, there will be a high demand for individuals who have the skills and knowledge to work with these tools and systems.

In addition, as the world becomes more connected and globalized, there will be a need for professionals who can navigate and understand different cultures and languages. Jobs in international business, diplomacy, and translation will also be in demand.

Looking towards the future, it is difficult to predict with certainty which professions or jobs will be most in demand. However, it is likely that there will be an increased need for professionals in renewable energy, healthcare, and cybersecurity as these industries continue to grow and evolve.

Overall, I believe that the key to staying in demand in the job market is to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and industries. I have seen firsthand the importance of staying current and expanding one's skillset in order to remain competitive in the job market.

Related to What profession or job will most be in demand

1. What factors determine which profession or job will be in demand?

There are several factors that can influence which profession or job will be in demand. These include economic trends, technological advancements, demographic changes, and societal needs. For example, the rise of automation and artificial intelligence may increase the demand for jobs in the tech industry, while an aging population may lead to a greater need for healthcare professionals.

2. How can we predict which profession or job will be in demand in the future?

Predicting the future demand for a profession or job is not an exact science, but there are several methods that can be used. These include analyzing current trends and data, conducting market research, and consulting with experts in the field. It's also important to consider the impact of emerging technologies and societal changes on the job market.

3. Will the demand for certain professions or jobs always stay the same?

No, the demand for professions and jobs can change over time. As technology advances and industries evolve, the demand for certain skills and roles may decrease while others may become more in demand. It's important for individuals to stay updated on industry trends and continuously develop their skills to remain competitive in the job market.

4. How can individuals prepare for a profession or job that is in demand?

To prepare for a profession or job that is in demand, individuals can take steps such as gaining relevant education and training, acquiring skills and experience in the field, and building a network of professional contacts. It's also important to stay updated on industry developments and continuously develop skills to stay competitive in the job market.

5. What are the potential benefits and drawbacks of pursuing a profession or job that is in high demand?

The benefits of pursuing a profession or job that is in high demand may include job security, higher salaries, and opportunities for career advancement. However, there may also be drawbacks such as increased competition for positions and potential burnout from high demand and workload. It's important for individuals to carefully consider their interests, skills, and goals before choosing a profession solely based on its demand.